The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I am pissed off

CJ

As you know, I have just had the car mapped and it was going like stink. I went to Wales today to pick up my son and was looking forward to having fun this weekend but have run into problems. :(

Whilst in Wales, the car developed a miss when put under load. This occured at around 4500 revs / 0.5 bar of boost. The fuel pressure was fine so I am thinking ignition problems. I turned off the boost controler earlier to ensure that it was not just doing it under heavy boost so then thought it is either the ignitor box or the coil packs.

So, it is over to my friend Matt at Oxford tomorrow to try his bits on it to see if wew can find the problem.

One day soon I will be able to drive the thing in earnest! :mad: :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boy have I have been lucky!

I took the car over to my friend Matt at Oxford on Saturday and after firstly checking the ignition components, we discovered that plug number 6 was shot to bits - no tip and no ceramic. So, that was why it was missing :eek:

When we checked the plugs, it was also obvious by their colour, that the car was running extremely lean.

So, that would have accounted for detonation at positive boost and the disintegration of the plug but why was it running so lean?

We felt the culprit had to be either the newly fitted Aeromotive FPR or a problem with the Walbro pumps. By looking at the fuel pressure gauge (and seeing it did not increase at all when hitting postive boost) we were almost certain it was the Aeromotive. Luckily, I still had the old FSE that came off the car and we therefore swapped over the FPR's.

Instant result! The pressure moved in ratio to the boost and all is now OK.

So, that was a major bit of luck eh? No seeming damage but I am now going to definitely fit an AEM air/fuel gauge as insurance.

Big thanks to Matt (and his good lady Debbie) for the help, advice and coffee!

Cheers Paul

No idea on the Aeromotive just yet. Possibly a Friday afternoon "bad un"? :(

Funny thing is, I upgraded from the FSE to the Aeromotive even though there was nothing wrong with it as I had heard how much better they were at keeping a regular pressure.

Not too sure what to do now, whether to stick to the FSE or try another Aeromotive :conf:

Originally posted by Paul E

You have two walbro's running - yes?

What was you stock pressure showing on your Fuel Pressure gauge at idle and boost?

Maybe one of the walbro's might have been dodgy and the rising rate element of the FSE is now compensating for your fuel requirement?

Very strange:(

It was definitely a problem with the Aeromotive as it wasn't increasing fuel presure at all when going to positive boost and was therefore making the car run lean. TBH, even if I had only one Walbro running, they are set up in such a way as to feed enough fuel even if one goes kaput!

Just got back from a 250 mile round trip to Wales and everything seems to be OK. Car is running sweetly and boosting fine and the fuel pressure is now working on a 1:1 ratio with the boost. EGT's are at an acceptable limit and everything else seems OK too.

I am now thinking that it needs to go back on a dyno to check that everything is AOK with the mapping. I should then be in a position to sleep a little easier again! :)

Originally posted by Paul E

Any reasonwhy the 'wonderful' aeromotive FPR should give up the ghost? Are you having it looked at?

:(

Same reason as anything fails Paul , at the end of the day its made by a human !!!! Even the space shuttle failed !!!!, still compared to the shite results ive seen from the FSE th eaeromotive still wins hands down , of course if people are that worried they could allways fit a proper regulator ;)

Dude:flame Dev