The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AGM/ Sealed Battery

Jellybean

Hey

As you also run an Audio shop. Do you have / recommend a battery for the boot, the car may sit-up for a 3-4 months a year so if possible I need a battery to be able to cope with a draw from a clifford Alarm.

I also have the intentions of getting a 4 channel amp at some stage to run the speakers, nothing crazy(i.e. Alpine MRX-F30). I presume a deep cycle battery is what I need

If you have a price deliverd to Dublin Ireland

thanks

I doubt there's a battery that will stand-up to that without a trickle charger or solar panel to keep it topped up.

I have a solar panel trickle charger and CTEK charger , my biggest concern is the battery can be brought back to life without the need to re-purchase a new one

They are $$$, I was thinkning along the lines of a Optima Yellow top

With those in use, no battery should get the chance to drain to death.

I use a little Odyssey Racing 30 with a 1.8amp solar panel which is enough to keep it topped up even during the winter months.

Ii was looking at the Odyssey Racing 35 model due to the ability to use SAE terminals; glad to hear it is ok ; are you running the ER30 on a Supra?

I have the optima red top and the winter last year killed her so I got the solar trickle charger in the interim to keep it topped up enough to allow me to start it

She is off the road since Nov so I didnt want to get a new battery to leave it sitting there, but if I leave the optima in the car with the solar Trickle charger hooked up and alarm on, the battery will only last about 1.5 days, the draw is greater than what the solar charger can supply

Car is going back on the road so I just want a battery to be able to last roughly 7 days without the car moving and the Alarm on. My friend has the Halfords calcium battery in his skyline and his frequency of use is roughly same as mine but his fires up no problem, with the alrm on and no solar charger.

I just want a sealed battery, due to the supra being a lift back (fumes) plus I would always be concerned of acid leaking

Reason I am thinking optima Yellow top is because the Red top fits snug in between the rear seat and chassis struts in the boot; the Odyssey ER35 is a bit of an odd shape, really dont want to start having to drill holes to mount it

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Battery fit.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233707-Project-Supracharger&p=3125294&viewfull=1#post3125294

Solar panel.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233707-Project-Supracharger&p=3132488&viewfull=1#post3132488

I didn't move it for 3 weeks of the worst weather last winter, after which the gauge still read 12v and it fired up first turn.

Is the car garaged at all or near a power point. A deep cycle battery cannot be left flat for any length of time or it will kit it.

I would advise leaving a charger on it all the time, you can get small intelligent chargers that will just keep the battery topped up. They also come with a loom that bolts to the battery with a plug so you can just plug the charger in.

You need a decent size battery for a supra so dont go getting a little racing battery as it will be no good. I can supply Kinetik dry cell batteries. The one we use for the supra is about £259

Is the car garaged at all or near a power point. A deep cycle battery cannot be left flat for any length of time or it will kit it.

I would advise leaving a charger on it all the time, you can get small intelligent chargers that will just keep the battery topped up. They also come with a loom that bolts to the battery with a plug so you can just plug the charger in.

You need a decent size battery for a supra so dont go getting a little racing battery as it will be no good. I can supply Kinetik dry cell batteries. The one we use for the supra is about £259

Its out on the road unfortunetly so no access to a power point, I just put the Solar trickle charger on her but I do have an intelligent chargers CTEK , 259 gbp is very expensive , Optima Yellow top or Exide any good ?

I have a isolator switch on her so I normall disconnect and connect the solar panel

Power Bee Trickle Charger, ES 300 Solar Power Trickle Charger 3W

Is it ok leaving her for a week between running or will it kill the battery?

Those batteries are fine but same thing applies, as long as they are fully charged you can leave them and they will be fine. Just dont leave them in a discharged state for more than a week or it will kill the battery. Any trickle charge needs to be inteligent and able to drop below 0.5 amps otherwise that will also damage a dry cell battery.

The Kinetik batteries are not the cheapest but they are the best money can buy with massive performance, there are smaller ones in the range that will still do the job also.

Its out on the road unfortunetly so no access to a power point, I just put the Solar trickle charger on her but I do have an intelligent chargers CTEK , 259 gbp is very expensive , Optima Yellow top or Exide any good ?

I have a isolator switch on her so I normall disconnect and connect the solar panel

Power Bee Trickle Charger, ES 300 Solar Power Trickle Charger 3W

Is it ok leaving her for a week between running or will it kill the battery?