The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT6 - Difficult to start when cold

Samurai 20V

Hi Chaps.

I got my Supra relicenced and back on the road, it has been giving me some issues to start when cold. The car is full BPU on stock ecu, fuel pump is walboro.

It cranks for at least 10secs or so before it starts, at times it only starts on the 2nd go. When it starts there is a some of blue smoke, but it clears up quickly.

It was parked for 2 months, in which time the battery died, I had it recharged.

I did a search here, there were some threads that led to a stuffed water temp sensor, but I still uncertain on the cause.

When the car is warm it starts on the turn. There is no smoke whilst driving, occasion puff when idling hot (turbo seals).

Any other advice on a potential solution? I am worried that the compression may be down, but the car feels awesome to drive, am I jumping the gun?

Thanks.

steam seals wont make it hard to start, that will give you the blue smoke syndrome.

Have you tried starting her with jump leads on? Could be a duff battery not supplying enough juice to start her?

Not yet, the battery was replaced last year, although it has died twice since I fitted it... (1st time when I ran the amp on for too long, 2nd while it was parked off).

Batterys are bloody big bucks here, I just fitted the cheapest one.

The car had a larger battery fitted, I changed for the stock size to fit the coolant bottle from the FMIC kit..

Will have to investigate the battery side of things before making any rash decisions.

Thks Geo.