The mkiv Supra Owners Club

any bpu supra owners run no dumpvalve??

Supra N_A

yes it does flutter , i have a adjustable bov and set it so light lift off you would get the flutter,never bothered going without one though and now im single turbo so now the adjuster is right out so i dont get too much from high boost lift off, with singles the bov reaction time needs to be quicker .

[COOL][/COOL]installing a dump valve shouldnt create flutter, it is there to remove it? flutter is compressor surge, which your dump valve removes by releasing built up pressure (which would spin the turbo and cause flutter).

I could be wrong.

Also, boost is not related to flutter, compression stall should either be there or its not. If you use a dump valve, you will only get surge from the excess pressure the bov can not remove. at a guess?

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

right just blocked the bov of there in theory it should flutter BUT mine starts to do it for 1 second then dies on.. got to be somthing to do with the maf sensor then as it is the vvti tip... sniffles no fluttttterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :( owelll psssssssssssssssshhhhhhh back on..

completly removed and hole blocked up.

was this with driving at what boost and how long do you think it should last

well there was no need to take the hks ssqv out i just removed the air pressure hose that goes to the hks ssqv nipple and blocked that off (2 hoses)

drove the car to like 0.8bar and made very weak flutter then cut..

surge is when the turbo cant flow enough right? ie exhuast side

Surge is when a turbo tries to flow more air than the engine can ingest at that time and the flow reverses and becomes unstable, which then leads to compressor stall.

Yes, it's just the sound it makes. When you close the throttle, the turbo is pushing air in still and it can't go anywhere. Technically that's just stall, surge is specifically when a turbo flows more air than the engine can handle at that RPM point, rather than when an artificial restriction is put in place (i.e. the throttle closing), and that leads to stall. But that's just semantics really :)

Some people aspire to it, some people hate it, some people ignore it. I personally hate it and think it's bad for the turbo. We had a discussion about this a while back, I'd be interested to know how long the stock turbos last without any BOV in place ;)

mine makes the fluttering sound, i think an induction filter is needed and not the standard air box, also it use to do it more when i had a hks mushroom filter fitted (i have K&N now), my uk spec never use to do it with a recirculated bov and air box

mine makes the fluttering sound, i think an induction filter is needed and not the standard air box, also it use to do it more when i had a hks mushroom filter fitted (i have K&N now), my uk spec never use to do it with a recirculated bov and air box

is it loud mate??

dunno if it is becouse mine has the maf in place