The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of carbon vinyl interior? thoughts ...

kniff_666

Hello everybody,

I have been thinking about vinyl covering my dash etc. with the carbon fibre effect stuff and was wanting to know a few things first.

I have spent ages removing the rubberised paint off the panels and cannot decide whether to paint or vinyl cover.

First of all, it looks pretty easy to do but does it look good?

It looks pretty easy to remove if you mess it up a bit, but does that mean that the stuff will peel after a couple of hot days in summer?

Is it relatively hard wearing?

If i do decide to do it does anyone know/remember what sheet dimension / amount i need to do the following:

Ashtray cover

Manual gear surround

Main dash panel

Window switch panel (both driver and passenger)

I know a few ppl have done this on here butjust wanting to pick your brains. :innocent:

I think a vinyl covering would give the best result on dash panels and the best resistance to the odd knock, the main consideration I would say is on how easy the material is to work around complex shapes and corners? I did my centre console lid and it looked good, just used double sided tape, this made it a lot easier to work with than glue.

Sorry this is such a poor quality picture but here is a pic of mine, Will take some more 2nite, my mate has just done his too with just spray adhesive and a scalpal, he found it really easy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]150542[/ATTACH]

OK cool.

So i have been looking on ebay and seen some carbon effect vinyl that is self adhesive. Could i not use that?

Or do you recommend the non self adhesive stuff and glue?

BTW i like the look and the steering wheel. :thumbs:

Could someone point me in the right direction of the best stuff to get to DIY-it?

Really want to give this a go but if i am taking the time (and money) to do it then i don't want it to look rubbish.

Also i want a satin type finish and not high gloss.

Any preferences from people on here?

OK cool.

So i have been looking on ebay and seen some carbon effect vinyl that is self adhesive. Could i not use that?

Or do you recommend the non self adhesive stuff and glue?

BTW i like the look and the steering wheel. :thumbs:

Im not sure about the self adhesive stuff mate could be good, thanks regarding the steering wheel :D i'll definately take some better pictures tonight as that one is rubbish quality and the carbon fibre with the chrome rings looks really good :D

Im not sure about the self adhesive stuff mate could be good, thanks regarding the steering wheel :D i'll definately take some better pictures tonight as that one is rubbish quality and the carbon fibre with the chrome rings looks really good :D

Where did you get the stuff from to do your panels?

And did you do the inserts on the steering wheel or was it already like that?

Where did you get the stuff from to do your panels?

And did you do the inserts on the steering wheel or was it already like that?

I didnt do my carbon fibre mate it was done by hobbyist on here :D but my mate did his own and looks just as good, no my momo steering wheel came with the carbon fibre inserts :D cool aint it lol

Around the ignition 'bump' is the hardest. I managed to the whole panel using one piece of vinyl, you need to shape and heat to the complete bump first and try and remove tension at the base before doing the rest. It's such a bugger to do it took 3 go's to get it right.

Will keep you posted about the progress but i don't think i will have much time this wkend to do anything. (even if all the parts arrive today or tomorrow)

First port of call will be the ashtray and the passenger window switch surround.

My idea is to start small and get the technique nailed.

I thought that the manual gear surround would be tricky?