The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Showing the Miles not the KM how to?

a98pmalcolm

Can you make this work on the odometer only?

Yes, should be no different to what Pete Betts says in his how-to. When someone does the entire km -> miles conversion (i.e. speedo *and* odo), the speedo and odo are separate parts of the conversion, so it's just like you've done half of it already.

Can you make this work on the odometer only? Ie convert to miles? As i have a speedo dials which are already converted.... Basically my speedo is reading mph and the odometer is in km....

The mod in the link doesn't perform any conversion. If the odometer increases by one for every km now, it will still do the same after the mod.

The only change that this makes is to turn off the little "km" light at the right of the display and turn on the "MILES" light.

Edited by Andy Blyth (see edit history)

The mod in the link doesn't perform any conversion. If the odometer increases by one for every km now, it will still do the same after the mod.

The only change that this makes is to turn off the little "km" light at the right of the display and turn on the "MILES" light.

I get ya, but i'd be running it through a converter box, but i guess without converting the speedo?

Unless you've got a UK car, your car must have a converter to be able to show speed in mph. This converter scales back the speed signal by 5/8 to go from kph to mph. By using this scaled-back signal as input to the odometer (pin 5, probably a purple wire), your odo would count up in miles.

See here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/dsc_speedo_mph.jpg

Is the TRL speed converter the same in principle as the rest?

It seems abit to easy to convert back, is it just to reassemble the speed sensor cable to the ODO and Speedo? And the re-transmitted speed signal to the blue and all should work fine again?

Are these easy to reach from just removing the cluster?

ThomasB: yes, that's basically all you need to do. Yes, they're usually easy to reach from just removing the dash fascia (only need the central part really, but to get that off the other fascia bits need to come off too.

Great! Thanks for the help m8! Will do this tonight :)

One question though, are the cable colours in the picture accurate?

When I bought mu Supra it had a converter fitted so its been counting up in miles since I have been driving it in the UK. There is a mixture of miles and KM on my display. I was hoping of a way that by making the miles glow and not the KM it would also change the display.

So it came into the UK with 109.000 KM so just under 68.000 miles. Its now displaying 138.000 KM so I've done 29.000 miles since I'v owned it.

It would be great If I could get the display to show 97,000 miles :)

Does anyone know of any services ant were or If I could so this myself?

Thanks

It kind of is clocking the car, but there are I believe reputable companies out there who can do it. Best ask the traders on here I think. I think you get a certificate to say when it was done, what the "before" number was and what the "after" number was.

The certificate (or receipt or whatever) is hardly worth the paper it's written on, but it does provide some documented evidence of what's happened.

The hassle of this is the main reason why I left my odo to count up in kms even though my speedo reads in mph.

ThomasB: yes, that's basically all you need to do. Yes, they're usually easy to reach from just removing the dash fascia (only need the central part really, but to get that off the other fascia bits need to come off too.

Well, it was easy enough. The guy that had done the convertion was "nice" enough to leave about 0.1mm of old cable left in the connector...

I put the 2 cables back together behind the odo but it still shows "miles"

Guessing this is because they have cut the blue/red cable together with the cable going from the converter. Didnt have anymore time to get the whole cluster off.

But will simply take the whole converter off and get a new km/h speedo :)

(From my PM):

You'd need to fit a top speed delimiter to the car to delimit it. There's no other sensible way. It's possible that the speed converter you've just removed also has a delimiter built into it. Was yours a Thor converter? I think those ones say on the box whether they include a delimiter or not.

If yours does have a delimiter built in, you jsut need to re-attach the 12v (red) and 0v (black) wires, and the delimiter output wire (yellow).

Failing this, connect odometer pin 6 (see the Thor diagram) to the ECU pink wire: this will leave the car speed-limited again.

You get the engine light when the pink ECU cable isn't connected to anything because that's the ECU's main (only?) speed input. When this is cut, the ECU doesn't know what speed the car is doing and throws error code 42 (faulty speed sensor).