The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reflecting on my 1st 2 weeks Supra ownership.

TubbyTwo

Hi all

Sat here, sipping a cup of PG Tips finest while staring out the office window at the Supra.

The car I have lusted after since it was released and I have been trying buy for the last 7 years. Each time I came so close something more important came up, bought 1st house, got married etc. Every time it seemed the goal moved that much further away. The ultimate nail in the coffin (or so I thought) was finding out that in September this year I’m going to be a dad.

Resigned to the fact it might never happen and I just couldn’t justify £7k+ on a TT6, I started looking at MR2s again. My wife on the other hand had other ideas.....

Fast forward to the 7th April, she convinces me to go and look at a Black Supra near Wales. An "epic" road trip then took place (no where near the scale of the "get bacon road trip" I might say). Before I know it, I have bought it and am driving it home with the biggest grin on my face ever.

I have now owned it for 2 weeks, considering I was dead set on wanting a 6 speed I thought I would reflect on my experience being a virgin auto owner.

Does it live up to my huge expectations of the car? HELL YES! Took me a while to get used to the fact that there isn’t a clutch pedal :D but I can honestly say I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy have a performance car with an auto box.

The box is fantastic, super responsive very smooth and so easy! Just starting to play around with it in MANU mode and it’s a right hoot to drive. Another part of the car I’m seriously impressed with is the way it drives, considering the size of the car it just feels like a huge go kart.

Now onto the somewhat controversial topic of fuel consumption......

It’s pretty good considering the car! I drive it to work 4 days a week, 25 miles a day and its costing me £45 a week. That’s seriously good going, it is however worth noting that until the oil is up to temp on the gauge I’m not really using that much boost, so mainly cruising with a few little bursts of power here and there. :)

So a few parting observations from the last 2 weeks:

- This forum is THE best I have ever been a member of, the club spirit, the projects and the knowledge of the members is fantastic.

- The auto box is a great bit of kit, I was seriously against having one, but I’m converted.

- People’s heads almost twist off as they stare at the car :D

- The kick down at bpu is savage!

- The fuel light has been tested weekly :D

So for all those hesitant to consider an auto TT, don’t knock it until you drive it :D.

Si

Firstly, congrats on the pending rug rat mate.

Secondly, welcome to the land of Supra. You now have some idea of why we're all happy bunnies on here.

Thirdly, you're right there's nowt wrong at all with the auto box. Especially when MANU and O/D OFF light are on.

it is however worth noting that until the oil is up to temp on the gauge I’m not really using that much boost

yep me too. Temp gauge has to be at the right place before I seriously spin my turbo's, should really fit an oil temp gauge I suppose.

Glad you are enjoyng the world of Supras. Dont shout too load or else everyone will want one. I still think they are one of the best kept secrets on the roads. I took a work colleague out in mine (He has an M3) and he was stunned for a 14 year old car how well it drove.

Congrats, I can still remember picking mine up 4 years ago, was a great trip back down the a303. Loving the autobox here too. Now is the time to say you won't spend a lot of money on it, then you can take 3 or 4 years being skint as you spend more on it than you thought possible. :)

Congratulations on a great purchase :)

Hopefully new members will look at this thread before posting the repetitive and irritating "hi, im after a Supra but it has to be a manual as I'm a driving god etc'

I seriously miss having an auto tt as a daily :(

This thread is making me jealous. It has been two weeks and two days since I went to view my Supra. We're waiting on documentation from DVLA before I can complete the purchase (it had a private plate on). The new plate has been assigned, the new MOT and tax disc as been sent through. We're just waiting on the V5 now. It's torture.

I want my Supra now :(

I'd give it a thorough service for starters, new plugs fliters oils sensors etc

I'd also check none of the calipers are begining to seize and the handbrake is adjusted correctly along

with regulary checking tyre pressures.

Getting a geo done certainly wont hurt unless you know its been done in the not too distant past.

I'd give it a thorough service for starters, new plugs fliters oils sensors etc

I'd also check none of the calipers are begining to seize and the handbrake is adjusted correctly along

with regulary checking tyre pressures.

Getting a geo done certainly wont hurt unless you know its been done in the not too distant past.

Very good point on the calipers being sticky. Think it is the rears which tend to do this. Happened on my previous Supra. Second hand caliper sorted mine out, nice easy fix.

Congratulations on becoming a dad. That in itself Is great :)

The first mkiv I test drove was in about 99.

It was an S reg TT auto.

Like you I was amazed at how responsive and smooth the auto box is.

It was a lovely silver machine with low miles.

The only problem back then was the £28000 price tag.

Japanese Car Imports were the garage back then - So who else remembers them?

Enjoy yourself :)