The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running in an engine rebuild

jcbt

I have tried using the search button for some advice on this matter but can't seem to find anything definitive.

The question is I have just had my engine rebuilt(TT auto) and am looking for some expert procedural guidance on the quickest and best way to run the engine in. From what I know you use special running in oil and not exceed 3k revs for the first 500 or so miles and use the manual option on the auto box so engine does not labour and constantly uses different revs. Do not keep the revs at 3k for any length of time like motorway use and occasionally blip to higher revs. Then an oil change before the next 500 miles and gradually increase revs to 4k over next 100 or so and 5k over next 100 or so miles trying not to put any undue stress on the engine.

Is there anything else I should be or not be doing through this process?:innocent:

Any help or guidance would be appreciated

i put in cheap oil and go hard! the bore hoaning is so fine nowdays aparently this is the best way to bed the rings in. or so i have been told

I'm sure I read on here a couple of years ago, that a certain car maker run their engines at high RPM before putting them into the car, for the reasons you've said.

i put in cheap oil and go hard! the bore hoaning is so fine nowdays aparently this is the best way to bed the rings in. or so i have been told

Same, Im no expert, had a 3sgte rebuilt and never bothered running it in. It was super smooth and never gave me any bother.

worth a read, but dont take it as gospel.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Whats been rebuilt then? Those in the know say a few miles at low revs/high load is the best way to bed in new rings

The two areas that need to be run in are rings and valves - still retains original crank and camshafts other than that all other components are new