The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin turbo or single?

Guest B-Dub

Guest B-Dub

Seeing as I havent even bought my supra yet & i'm still looking for the perfect one, I wanted opinions on which to get? I've been told by a few mates that i should get a single turbo manual as its less to go wrong and i could get more out of it.. But surely i could get more out of the twin turbo and sure too i'd have more fun with it?

What do you guys say?

Twin turbo = 2 small turbos, topping out at 450bhp

Big Twin Setup OR Big Single turbo = larger than stock turbo(s), topping out at 1,000+bhp

Depends on how you want the power delivered. There is no difference in what power is reachable.

Twin turbo = 2 small turbos, topping out at 450bhp

Big Twin Setup OR Big Single turbo = 1 large turbo, topping out at 1,000+bhp

Depends on how you want the power delivered. There is no difference in what power is reachable.

Not that this member will be building a 1000bhp twin but I am not sure this advise is that sound, how many very big twin kits do you know and they tend to be much more expensive to build when you do get them

Would be good to know the members age, budget, experience of rwd, aim of build etc

I just copied post #2 from Josh and included big twin set up. People dont consider large twins its just BPU or Single too often.

:)

I did add info about aftermarket twins being the same as a single ;)

I just thought the forum had added an echo feature :D

The MKIV Supra came factory fitted with 2 relatively small turbos, these operate sequentially ie. the first turbo spins up and then at just over 3Krpm the second turbo comes online, this gives good low down response plus good top end power. As standard the TT makes around 320hp, but with simple modifications (click -> BPU) removing the catalytic convertors and upping the boost it's possible to raise the power to around 380-400hp.

All single turbo MKIV Supras are modified, ie. the stock sequential turbos are removed and in their place is fitted a larger aftermarket single turbo kit, these can vary in power - depending on the spec of the turbo, engine and other supporting modifications - from anywhere between say 500-1000+hp.

Power is not measured by how many turbos are fitted, it's about how much air the turbo(s) force into the engine. So you could have 2 small turbos that flow less air to the engine compared to one large turbo, likewise you could have 2 medium sized turbos that flow more air into the engine than one larger turbo.

If it's your first Supra I would look for a standard twin turbo Supra, start by having a read through the threads below.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?60-Basic-Supra-Guides

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Seeing as I havent even bought my supra yet & i'm still looking for the perfect one, I wanted opinions on which to get? I've been told by a few mates that i should get a single turbo manual as its less to go wrong and i could get more out of it.. But surely i could get more out of the twin turbo and sure too i'd have more fun with it?

What do you guys say?

What's your budget mate?

Hello B-Dub,

OK, reading between the lines, I'm guessing you didn't realise that single turbo mkIV supras are highly modified, bespoke cars. Toyota never made mkIV supras in single-turbo format. I'm also guessing you think twin turbo systems can deliver more power because there's 2 turbos instead of 1. This isn't generally true, but it's an easy mistake to make. I thought that when I first joined this forum.

If you want simplicity (in terms of the engine being standard-ish) and reliability, go for a twin turbo. If you want lots of power and are prepared to pay several thousand pounds more for it, go for a single turbo.