The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spark Plug Codes Updated?

MattP

Hi guys

I have recently bought some NGK Iridium IX spark plugs for my 1994 N/A Auto they were specified on Fleabay (Ebay) that they were for the JZA80 Non Turbo so I assumed they would be correct however upon arrival today the code stamped on the box reads BCPR6EIX-11 I have used the search bar and read the spark plug guide on here and this code is not in the list is it possible that NGK have updated the spark plug codes and these plugs are actaully suitable?

Regards Matt

BCPR6EIX-11

BC = 14mm Thread / 5/8" (16mm) Hex JIS Type

P = Projecting Insulator

R = Resistor Type

6 = Heat Rating (2 Hot, 11 Cold)

E - 19mm (3/4") Reach

IX = Firing End Construction High Performance Iridium (0.6mm diameter)

11 = 1.1mm Gap

BKR5EIX

BK = 14mm Thread / 5/8” (16mm) Hex ISO Type

R = Resistor Type

5 = Heat Rating (2 Hot, 11 Cold)

E - 19mm (3/4") Reach

IX = Firing End Construction High Performance Iridium (0.6mm diameter)

None = Car: 0.8-0.9mm Gap. Motorcycle:0.7-0.8mm Gap

So the BCPR6EIX-11:

- has a projecting insulator

- is one grade colder (more likely to foul but more resistant to heat)

- is gapped to 1.1 mm rather than 0.8-0.9mm

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqcode.asp

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Note - This selection list does not take Nitrous into account. If you have Nitrous go one grade colder than this table advises at your boost/performance level.

Rule of thumb

Iridiums should always come pregapped correctly - altering the gap will cause damage. If you test the gap and it isn't correct return them to the stockist and check they got in the right version.

Normally Aspirated

NGK - Standard - BKR5ES-11 (2382) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.

NGK - V-Power - BKR5EYA-11 (2526) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.

NGK - G-Power Platinum - BKR5EGP (7090) - gap to 1.1mm

NGK -Laser Platinum - BKR5EP-11 (3440) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.

NGK -OE Laser Iridium - IFR5T11 (4996) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.

NGK - Iridium IX - BKR5EIX-11 (5464) - gap is already 1.1mm at the "-11" signifies they should be set to this already.

Denso Platinum - PK16R11 - gap to 1.1 (but always check first)

So looking at this spark plug faq, available from this forum that Alex originally posted, 1.1mm seems to be the accepted gap on N/A plugs, also a heat rating of 5 is the normal however denso platinums are a grade colder at 6,although still gapped at 1.1mm.

The difference with the plugs I have been sent compared to these recommended are that the BCPR6EIX-11 has a projecting insulator and it is one grade colder at 6 instead of the usual 5 so still in function the plugs I have will still be ok to use on the N/A as they are within the heat range (IE:6) like the Denso platinums in the list of acceptable plugs above the other contributing factors being they are JIS type not ISO not sure what this means as of yet but i will check now.