The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whatever you do don't break down!

slugger1

What a day I have had. Broke down in Guildford at 09:15 this morning and didn't get back to Farnborough until 16:00! One RAC van and 2 flat bed trucks later and I finally got home. Won't want to go through that in a hurry!

On the plus side the car was fixed by 17:15!

Won't want to go through that in a hurry!

Sounds like you didn't :D

Recovery firms are notoriously bad with modified cars. I sat in a layby on an Autobahn for 10.5 hours once thanks to ADAC. There was only a toilet, several hundred used condoms and some strange looking truck drivers for company.

I don't know if this is true, but I was informed years ago that the likes of the AA & RAC have a dedicated but limited number of vehicles in their fleet.

But if you use an independent company (Green Flag was the one I chose years ago) they can tap into a much larger number of recovery vehicles in their network.

This also meant that someone would be potentially geographically nearer to you too.

On about 5 or 6 occassions over the last 25 years, I've only had to wait between 30 and 45 minutes for the man to arrive.

Sounds cool. Interested to know what the actual problem was?

The pulley attached to the tensioner ceased and then snapped the auxillary belt. When Toyota and another local garage were contacted about fixing it they both said they wouldn't touch it! My local garage fixed it in less than an hour it was just getting it there that was the problem.

I don't know if this is true, but I was informed years ago that the likes of the AA & RAC have a dedicated but limited number of vehicles in their fleet.

But if you use an independent company (Green Flag was the one I chose years ago) they can tap into a much larger number of recovery vehicles in their network.

This also meant that someone would be potentially geographically nearer to you too.

On about 5 or 6 occassions over the last 25 years, I've only had to wait between 30 and 45 minutes for the man to arrive.

The RAC used a local company called Westbourne Motors but the first truck they sent wasn't suitable because the car was too low. Only just got it on the second one!

I dunno but im with RAC and when I broke down in my MKiii Supe last year (serpentine belt snapped) I had to wait 30mins for the RAC man to come out (I did tell the woman on the phone what the problem was and that he wasn't gonna be able to fix it without one hell of a stapler) and as they couldn't tow a RWD automatic with the RAC van the guy then spoke to his HQ who called in a flatbed recovery truck that came from about 15 minutes away.