The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car cover

Soopra

Can anyone recommend a car cover for my Supra please?

I have the dubious pleasure of getting the bus to work so the Supra is only used at weekends now.

I'm looking for an outdoor cover to keep the weather and the neighbours eyes/car doors off my baby.

Thanks

A few months ago I would have recommended the Stormforce 4 car covers but of late I have had massive problems with condensation and also marks appearing on the paint. I have not yet tried to polish these out but they are a concern.

I personally would not use a cover again.

H.

I'd recommend not putting a cover on. Doesn't matter how good the cover is supposed to be, it'll end up wrecking your car as the wind catches it.

i had 3 seperate covers on my KITT replica and even the expensive, tailormade one that was tied on with several straps moves slightly in the wind. In the end, it had taken the paint down to the undercoat on the wing mirrors, spoiler and part of the front nose. Had to get them re-painted :(

Peter

I'd recommend not putting a cover on. Doesn't matter how good the cover is supposed to be, it'll end up wrecking your car as the wind catches it.

i had 3 seperate covers on my KITT replica and even the expensive, tailormade one that was tied on with several straps moves slightly in the wind. In the end, it had taken the paint down to the undercoat on the wing mirrors, spoiler and part of the front nose. Had to get them re-painted :(

Peter

A few months ago I would have recommended the Stormforce 4 car covers but of late I have had massive problems with condensation and also marks appearing on the paint. I have not yet tried to polish these out but they are a concern.

I personally would not use a cover again.

H.

100% agree with this, exact same thing happened with me. The cover allows small movement when its windy even when strapped down fully and rubs on the wings and roof, they will buff out with a light polish H well mine did any way. I would go for a carcoon or nothing at all.

Carcoon - expensive, but keeps your car clean and no rubbing. Looks like a cannabis factory too :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=122195&d=1284822684

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=122194&d=1284822684

Lol "cannabis factory", you sound like the police :D

I'd recommend no cover. I was always planning on getting one before and just after getting my Supra, but I drive it too much to want to wash it every time I put the cover on.

I have a halfords cover which Im happy with

BUT

My car is kept in the garage so I don't have the worry of the wind blowing and moving the cover and maybe as said above scratching the paint

My girlfriend has the same cover for her 350z which was kept out side and she experanced very light scratches on her car from the cover but nothing a bit of swirl X that could remove them ...and it was black ! with the cover off I'm sure the car would of been in a worse condition due to her parking space under a huge tree..

If you have somewhere where the wind can't catch it I personally would put one on

Here is mine, fits fine and has a Bodykit on ..Do-Luck front, Trail rear and TRD spoiler

Was in the middle of cleaning the wheels, hence the rear wheels off and it started to rain

I had this thought the other day......

What about one of those gazebo things.....

I saw some the other day, they were 4.5m x 3m with 4 sides that can be zipped on and off..... made with steel tubing construction and waterproof....on the base of the legs they had a plate with holes in, so could be anchored pretty good into the ground...

Thought about putting one up in the back garden, to act like a garage, drive straight in.....

But not sure about the rain etc, would this biuld up on the roof and "sag" down and collapse it !! ??

Any thoughts ?

I saw some the other day, they were 4.5m x 3m with 4 sides that can be zipped on and off..... made with steel tubing construction and waterproof....on the base of the legs they had a plate with holes in, so could be anchored pretty good into the ground...

Thought about putting one up in the back garden, to act like a garage, drive straight in.....

But not sure about the rain etc, would this biuld up on the roof and "sag" down and collapse it !! ??

Any thoughts ?

If the roof is tight enough fitting then it wouldn't sag or cause the rain to pool up.

I have been happy with our for the majority and today I have found a couple of bird turds that the cover would have protected the paint from. I had just noticed that the doors and rear wings were "marked" when I took the cover off. Tbh, I haven't washed the car and these could just be water marks from the condensation on the car.

After having mega problems with condensation in the headlights and being out on my drive at 3am trying to ensure the cover stays on etc, I am now coming around to the conclusion that I am better off without the cover. We unfortunately do not have any alternative as we do not have a garage and we can't get the car around the back of the house to put up a weed factory.

H.

I have a halfords cover which Im happy with

BUT

My car is kept in the garage so I don't have the worry of the wind blowing and moving the cover and maybe as said above scratching the paint

My girlfriend has the same cover for her 350z which was kept out side and she experanced very light scratches on her car from the cover but nothing a bit of swirl X that could remove them ...and it was black ! with the cover off I'm sure the car would of been in a worse condition due to her parking space under a huge tree..

If you have somewhere where the wind can't catch it I personally would put one on

Here is mine, fits fine and has a Bodykit on ..Do-Luck front, Trail rear and TRD spoiler

Was in the middle of cleaning the wheels, hence the rear wheels off and it started to rain

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/mplavery/cf885a4e.jpg

what size is that mate? is it the advanced cover thing they do? i used to have one, and have the exact same bodykit, but it never cleared to the bottom of my rear wheels....

By the way im 95% sure im going for one of these portable garages:

http://canvas-nylon.co.uk/Portable_Garages/Prambulator/prambulator.htm

They are heavy weight pvc nylon, easy wipe of all the rubbish falling from the sky, dont take up much room when being used, quick and easy to use and keeps the car untouched by the elements on the garage and has a vents to stop condensation -

actually i think i've sold myself up now im 99% sure!! :D

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)

Any thoughts ?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?194738-My-Supe-got-broken-into&p=2477631&highlight=garage#post2477631

attachment.php?attachmentid=97164&d=1250502447

what size is that mate? is it the advanced cover thing they do? i used to have one, and have the exact same bodykit, but it never cleared to the bottom of my rear wheels....

its the large one mate, it covers the bottom of the bumper though i think you can see a little bit of the rear tyres... I will sort some more pics if you like