The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Legal/Illegal number plate's

Guest ahamilton

Guest ahamilton

I've just been stopped by the police for an illegal plate (2 illegal plates). Ive just been reading the other threads and notice some of the 'no need for a front plate' etc. I accept my front plate was very very small BUT it hangs in my front bumper, would i have a leg to stand on if i claim the full size plate would restrict airflow? that isnt even such an issue my major issue is my rear plate, it is apparenly illegal due to it being an import with enough space on the bumper to fit on a standard uk rear plate? the plate is standard size lettering and numbering which i said to the policeman but he was having none of it, although as soon as i said that he followed it with "it will get through an mot but is not legal" isnt that the whole point of an mot?? i can go take pictures of both front and rear plates although it is dark outside! and help/advice appreciated due to having to produce changed plates in 14 days or a court date! as i say the front plate i accept, the rear im not happy about. :D:d

Guest ahamilton

IMG_0431.jpg

small plate.... ok its small!

IMG_0380.jpg

old standard size plate..... doesnt look very good!

IMG_0261.jpg

what is wrong with that!!?...... except the exhaust!

I've been running an import plate on the back of my Celica for 12 years. 4 of those were in Newcastle when I lived there. If it was such a crime they should have made me change the J-spec plate surround for a UK one to accomodate the snowboard like UK plate. Seems your Mr Policeman is feeling the need to wave some authority around..

Print off the legislation from the DVLA and compare the exact sizing/spacing requirements vs your plates....if they are the wrong size(s) pay the fine but if not take it to court and present the evidence! Many police do not get training/informed of the legislation in relation to imports and simply believe that every car on UK roads is required to meet UK standard sizing!:blink:

Get your plates done by Jurgen. He does them to legal standards and ive not had any issues with the police for them. I dont see anything wrong with the rear plate you have. Just about everybody on here will have non-private plates in that style

Guest ahamilton

I just read that before coming back online! It's seems to make sense but then in certain parts it loses me a bit. I just want that perfect balance of not ruining the look of the front of the car whilst not getting stopped every other day. I accept the plate was to small but still can't accept my rear plate is illegal because it is apparently large enough for a uk plate.

I don't think you would have a leg to stand on.

The law gives you the size requirements...

The law does not care about airflow and visual

asthetics :)

As for the rear plate, it sounds a bit harsh.

Actually iirc the law states that in cases where a normal plate would cause issues (like blocking airflow to an intercooler) exceptions can be made (iirc the use of motorcycle size font). Ill dig out the regs an C&P it.

*Edit*

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates

As the N/A Supra wasn't sold in Europe I think im correct in saying it would not have EEC type approval however the TT was sold in Europe and you have to meet both criteria to use motorcycle sized font.

TLDR: The cop didn't have a clue what he was talking about, both your plates are perfectly legal.

Edited by ubersonic (see edit history)

I just read that before coming back online! It's seems to make sense but then in certain parts it loses me a bit. I just want that perfect balance of not ruining the look of the front of the car whilst not getting stopped every other day. I accept the plate was to small but still can't accept my rear plate is illegal because it is apparently large enough for a uk plate.

If you have the rear surrounds fitted then the number plate won't fit ;)

What about a sticker one?

I'd get Jurgen to make you a plate.

Actually iirc the law states that in cases where a normal plate would cause issues (like blocking airflow to an intercooler) exceptions can be made (iirc the use of motorcycle size font). Ill dig out the regs an C&P it.

That may be the case, but I don't think its going to help the op :)

I.e. a standard UK front rectangular plate will not restrict airflow...so get one.

Guest ahamilton
If you have the rear surrounds fitted then the number plate won't fit ;)

What about a sticker one?

I'd get Jurgen to make you a plate.

It says on that craigsplates that stickers are all illegal no matter what size etc. I'm going to produce the rear as it is and change front back to the standard uk (ugly) size plate for the time being then take it from there I think!

I'm smart I have a small plate on my car, when I take the car for a drive I put a massive plate over the small one :), then for shows etc I remove it.

I would have thought you'd have a special numberplate carcoon system in place?

sounds like this member of the popo doesnt know what he's on about!

+1

Same thing happened to me a couple of years back. Laughed at the guy which didn't help matters. But insisted they were illegal. Spoke to a few different officers/Sgts who confirmed the person who had been bullied was full of it...

Anyways changed them a few months later as I had intended to& prefer them now.

in July 2001 the Government announced that it would allow imported vehicles, mostly from the United States and the Far East, to continue to display motorcycle size number plates. The main reason given for this decision was that the “cost of modifying some of these vehicles, in particular those which originate from the USA, to take standard size plates would be costly and unfair".13 The amending legislation, the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) Regulations 2002 (SI 2002/2687), came into force on 22 November 2002.

this is the legal size for a IMPORT CAR ONLY..

you can only have a dealers name on the plate at bottom now.

but you will still get police that will still pull you for the below plates so you have to be prepared to explain to them that import cars are allowed smaller plates due to the size allocated for the number plates.

your not breaking the law here, your using the law to your advantage so make the most of it if your car is an IMPORT.