The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stock air box?

Chris Bailey

Right let me clear this up because im getting really confussed, My dad has purchased a fmic from whifbitz and paul has said that the stock air box doesnt fit with the fmic kit. But ive seen a few people on here say that the stock airbox does fit with the fmic. Apparently the stock air box with a uprated filter is much better than an induction kit for a bpu supra. Just wanted to know if anyone knows the correct answer.

It's the piping from the IC that needs to go through where the stock airbox is. Some FMICs you can buy route around the box (whether it's on purpose or by accident, I don't know).

Also, the stock box is much better than an aftermarket filter sitting in the warm engine bay sucking up warm air.

My Srd kit wouldn't fit with the stock airbox, with a different piece of pipe and a 45degree joiner it now fits a treat :), I'm not sure why aftermarket kits aren't designed to keep the stock box as its well known to be the best induction.

I'll try and get a pic when it gets home.

Keep the stock airbox if at all possible.

Well Paul said my dad didnt have a choice so my dad bought a blitz induction kit because Paul said there decent for the price. I'd imagine my dad will keep the stock air box and try fit that on :) The annoying this is he's only just bought a K&N panel filter to go into the stock air box.

you can bodge one in like i did

Yep, it should be possible with the right pipework and a bit of time.

I kept my NA airbox to feed my 1JZ with nice clean cold air via a Miami GT SMIC, so a custom job using a TT airbox should be a piece of urine.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150150&d=1334599814

Chris Wilson says he doesn't like my choice of clamps but I think he is just jealous of me skillz.:D

100.jpg

If you desperately wanted the stock airbox then I am fairly sure that Paul would be able to get it to fit using different pipework (extra cost).

The other option would be to get Paul to build from scratch an alternative enclosed airbox.

I just remembered that we are having a new uprated rad, So the stock air box wont fit anyway thats why we are having a new air filter.

One of the Ebay jobs? If it's from Whifbitz, it's the same design which is what I got (from a different trader) and the top air feed managed to fit on with a bit of persuasion. The airbox isn't affected and still fits fine with the new radiator.

It shouldn't be very hard to mod the intercooler pipework to keep the stock airbox.

This is mine.

If you look on ebay there are places selling differant angle bends in differant diameters

in aluminium tube and with swaged ends.

Or silicon hoses with differant bends and diameters

airbox 1.jpg

airbox 2.jpg