The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air compressor?

redsupraman82

Guys i need some advice if possible, i have just brought a VW t2 1973 campervan which im going to restore as a new project, so i want to get a air compressor to make life a bit easier. i want it to run air tools such as grinders, cutters,sanders etc. can anyone recommend me what sort i would need or point me in the right direction?

Unless I was going to use it for spraying I would just buy electric sanders, grinders etc.

But if you do want one there're plenty of decent ones on Ebay, that's where I buy mine.

Obviously the electricity supply in most houses is single phase and the largest compressors for this use are normally 3 hp. The better ones quote around 14 cfm (cubic feet per minute) - fad (free air delivery or air displacement) and in reality they supply only around 8-9 cfm, these quite often have twin cylinders and have a 50 litre tank.

Most manufacturers just quote the (free air delivery or air displacement)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're just adequate for home use but you might struggle to use more than one tool at a time. I've used a full size spray gun I've had to keep pausing to wait for for the compressor to build up pressure.

I have one compressor (same spec as above), I'm going to buy another one similar and connect them both up together, it's quite common for people to do this, obviously doubling your output. :eyebrows:

A second hand one on Ebay (same spec as above) would normally go for around £130, new they're over £300.

Depends really how much money you want to spend.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)