The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Re chroming Headlight Rings

CarlT67

I know this has been covered before and I have searched but I think I have come up with a couple of suggestions that I haven't found when searching.

Can anyone see any potential problems with using the following and what are peoples opinions on which would be best....

I'm only touching up the rings not completely redoing the set.

So possibilities include...

-Chrome Spray paint

-Chrome/silver model paint (would be brush applied)

-Chrome nail varnish

-Silver leafing/gilding (like gold leafing)

-Chrome Vinyl wrap, I would imagine this would be extremely difficult though due to the complex double curve you'd have to wrap.

So any ideas/opinions on the above...?

Touching up the rings might make whatever blemnish you have even more noticable. Mine got into a right mess as I tried to fix a paint issue on the surround. Masking tape will have the chrome finish off I have discovered to my peril.

I tried chrome vinyl wrap, it didn't go well as it wouldn't stretch under hair dryer heat and is incredibly fiddly. Idea was to make a circle and then push it down obver the upper and lower edges.

I also tried this spray, http://chromepaint.com/liquid-chrome. It looked like it was going to work until the last stage didn't buff like the instructions said it would. Temperature is crucial and I struggled to keep them at 20 degrees ambient temperature in December..

Not yet found an off shelf chrome paint that isn't just sparkly silver..

Not tried varnish nail paint... Hmm.

Mine are currently with these guys. http://www.chromespray.co.uk. Was meant to be 10 days turn around but so far has almost been 4 months for one reason after another..

I did mine a little while ago. I used chrome paint. I done the rings completely as I knew I could not match the original chrome. Chrome paint is just silver really and no substitute for chrome. I only did one light just incase I did not like the finish but I wil be doing the other one soon as I actually like the finish, it's smarter than flacking chrome :) and at a glance is not really noticable, especially in bright sun light. Do a search as I did a thread on it so you can see the pics. and judge for yourself. I think scott m did similar but just touched up the bad bits and was happy with the results. Good luck, it's well worth doing IMO.

I re chromed mine last year and I used chrome vinyl.

I think its probably the best cheap option, but it takes some patience!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/scutchy1984/93064d51.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/scutchy1984/99ffa132.jpg

Rich.

What vinyl did you use, do you have a link?

Also did you apply it with a heat gun?

I just bought some chrome vinyl off eBay, you can't use any heat on it, as it's too thin and just crinkles up.

I actually ended up cutting it up into sections and applying it in three pieces around the outside, then a single circular piece on the face, and then another three pieces for the inside of the ring, then I trimmed the excess off with a sharp knife, I won't lie, it took fooking ages, probably a hour per ring, but it was the best that I think is possible without getting the whole thing re chromed.

As the rings are not removable!

I just bought some chrome vinyl off eBay, you can't use any heat on it, as it's too thin and just crinkles up.

I actually ended up cutting it up into sections and applying it in three pieces around the outside, then a single circular piece on the face, and then another three pieces for the inside of the ring, then I trimmed the excess off with a sharp knife, I won't lie, it took fooking ages, probably a hour per ring, but it was the best that I think is possible without getting the whole thing re chromed.

As the rings are not removable!

Does this look like the stuff? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Chrome-silver-Wrap-Vinyl-0-3-m-x-1-35-meter?item=190600084857&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7742437241395597309#ht_4541wt_1144,

I'm going to give it a go, hopefully I can just patch up the bits where the chrome is missing and disguise the edges.

I did consider this for my lights but on balance they were not in good enough overall condition. If the lenses are really good then go for it, but for me glass replacements were a no-brainer and make such a massive improvement without the hassle of putting them in the oven.

I did consider this for my lights but on balance they were not in good enough overall condition. If the lenses are really good then go for it, but for me glass replacements were a no-brainer and make such a massive improvement without the hassle of putting them in the oven.

But then you don't have the large chrome ring around the main beam or a gunmetal surround :(