The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Basic car detailing question ... clay bar

kniff_666

Hello all,

I have seen numerous videos and things explaining how to detail your car with clay bar.

My question is this:

Which type of clay bar is safe to use on my basic flat paint (202 toyota black). e.g. there is no clear coat/laquer on the paint.

I assume that it is all safe to use on it but i don't want to screw up my paint.

Do i need the fine or medium clay bar?

cheers in advance,

fine will do , get the megs kit from halfrauds and use plenty of lube

:blush:

cheers for the help guys

Another quick question.

I understand that the clay bar removes contaminants from the paint but do you run the risk of damaging the paint?

I mean is it a mild abrasive?

:blush:

cheers for the help guys

Another quick question.

I understand that the clay bar removes contaminants from the paint but do you run the risk of damaging the paint?

I mean is it a mild abrasive?

Only very light pressure is needed otherwise you will marr the paint. fold the clay after every panel, lots of lube and very light pressure. It will feel like its dragging on the paint as it removes contamination but after a while It will feel silky smooth.

I cut the clay bar up, that way you have a few spares should you drop it, if you do, bin it and start again with a fresh bit. personally I use Bilt Hamber clay, only needs water as lube but the Megs kit is a decent one as well :)

Remember, light pressure and lots of lube, its not that hard just get stuck in.

Cheers for the info guys. Just bought the megs kit.

Another question is this.

Would i be able to use this stuff on my J-spec headlights (plastic) on the inside and out? And do you think that this will help remove the discolouration and fogging?

It would help remove any contaminents on the outside of the headlights prior to polishing them, but It wont bring the plastic up like new you would need to hand polish/machine polich with a cutting compund to get the best results.

I wouldn't bother using the clay on the inside of the headlights, its not going to be of any really benefit.

Or soak in Peroxide as a few guys on here have done.