The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight refurb

RA28

Having a bit of time over easter and after succesfully fitting facelift indicators I decided to have a go at facelifting the headlights.

It seemed rude not to.

The wife was not pleased about my car being in the oven.

I was going to leave the rings in chrome, but the masking tape caused a reaction, so I went for Halfords rubberised black with a matt black top coat and machine polished the lens.

Just got the passenger side back in and have to upset the wife again shortly to finish the drivers side;

IMG00567-20120411-1936.jpgIMG00568-20120411-1936.jpg

I quite like the mean MadMax look.

The only issue was that the outer rings foul slightly on the inner lens.

Is this just the design?

Has anyone else had the same issue?

looks great,inspiring stuff, i have a set of of prefaclifts lying in my garage i might give this a try. What temp and how long? Oven that is:d

Do it! For removal, I preheated oven to just over 100 degrees C and put them in for 5 minutes, then tried to prise them apart. I had read somewhere to start from the outside of the unit to avoid snapping off the small clips. They were not soft enough after 5 mins, so they went back in for another 7 minutes. This did the trick and they came apart easily. The hot glue is messy and if it sticks on things, is hard to remove so be careful. Remember to wear some heatproof gloves as the light will be hot!

Look out for a small white plastic clip that will most likely fall out. It locates in a square hole near the bottom of the insert.

When reassembling, put the lens into position and pop in the oven at 100 degs for around 5 mins.

This should be enough to gently push the lens back into place and get the metal clips on.

100 degrees for just over 5 mins

Do it! For removal, I preheated oven to just over 100 degrees C and put them in for 5 minutes, then tried to prise them apart. I had read somewhere to start from the outside of the unit to avoid snapping off the small clips. They were not soft enough after 5 mins, so they went back in for another 7 minutes. This did the trick and they came apart easily. The hot glue is messy and if it sticks on things, is hard to remove so be careful. Remember to wear some heatproof gloves as the light will be hot!

Look out for a small white plastic clip that will most likely fall out. It locates in a square hole near the bottom of the insert.

When reassembling, put the lens into position and pop in the oven at 100 degs for around 5 mins.

This should be enough to gently push the lens back into place and get the metal clips on.

100 degrees for just over 5 mins

nice one,What did you use to reseal the light with? black silicone?