The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tender Loving Care?

Pete

I wonder if I'm too anal when it comes to cleaning my Supra. (See the gallery in my sig)

I consider it my pride and joy and hate to see it dirty! I treat the car with respect... Perhaps I should juse abuse it as the tool it is? Maybe it's because I can't afford to splash money out on expensive toys so easily so I look after them.

Whatever it is - It really really pains me to see a Supra looking tatty when all it needs is some TLC.

Take this one : http://www.multichem.net/SonicSausage/TheCar/SupraFrameset.htm

I'm sorry, but I've gotta say it in the face of everyone saying what a great car it looks....He really ought to tart her up a bit before trying to sell. Those pictures do not do any favours.

Looking to buy I notice these things that put me off from the detail pics: (You only get one chance to make a good first impression)

[chopped potentially annoying bit]

If you're serious about selling it - you gotta get it properly valeted - this isn't expensive given the cost of the vehicle.

Maybe I'm just a fussy picky b*stard when it somes to my own cars.

I'm honestly not trying to slag anyone off or anthing, just offer some constructive criticism.

Ok... I'm ready for the flaming.

:devil:

Pete

I think you may have a point.

When he has spent time, money and effort doing those things, a little bit of tidying wouldn't go amiss.

Not slagging the owner off, but maybe he just doesn't see those things as he is used to the car and as he says it is his pride and joy.

As they say "one mans muck is another mans brass".;)

RoGuE,

Totally agree 100% with you regarding looking after your car.

I can't stand my car looking dirty. :looney:

In fact, some weeks when it rains the car gets more attention in the washing department than I do!! Sad but unfortunately true.

Also find its the BEST way to relax and unwind after a hard week at work.

btw: I love those rear spat fins on your car! Where did you get them from? :thumbs:

Firstly i'm not sure the pictures were originally taken to advertise the car.

Secondly the presentation of the car, shouldn't really (IMO) sway you too much as it how much its loved / cared for. However when selling I have always cleaned mine thoroughly as like it or not it does have an effect!

to me though as a (frequent!) buyer, it just shows that someone has put some effort in recently (or paid someone else to do it!) to get it looking nice so that people 'believe' its been well looked after (you have to look beyond this when buying any car IMO)

Nearly all the points you raise could have been sorted by a good clean or £60 valet, and you would now be raving about how it looks a minter and must be well cared for etc all because of £60 or some elbow grease?

Pictures give you an idea of the car, but are no substitute for seeing it in the flesh. The guys obviously had the cash to mod and look after the car well and why would he not do so when having it 7+ yrs and putting on a fair few miles.

I can see how the guy has maybe not shown his car in the best light but i think its wrong to assume its uncared for just because its not as clean as it should be. Its only one part (and IMO not an important one) of the car buying process.

Originally posted by SupraStar 3000

btw: I love those rear spat fins on your car! Where did you get them from? :thumbs:

Suprastar, i do indeed have Jake's spats, it was an experiment and was probably going to butcher them to remove the fins (not 100% my cup of tea!) but if you want them as they are, they are yours.........

[RANT]

Oh FFS it's done 130,000 miles - it's hardly going to be mint condition is it...and at under £10k it's still a good deal!

A sub box that isn't covered is hardly going to lessen the appeal of the car.

The mesh is well out of sight, and it's there to stop rocks not look good.

Maybe he didn't want the rear trims ontop of the speakers? Maybe they don't fit back.

etc etc

Maybe you shouldn't buy the car or point fingers and stand in the way of a chap trying to sell his car. maybe just maybe he's got other things far more important to be doing!

You could have PM'd the guy and pointed all this out and suggested some stuff but no you had to be IMO an arse about it.

[/RANT]

Think that was said with about as much tact as the first post had :) :sly:

(Yes I'm in a bad mood :D )

:p

>Firstly i'm not sure the pictures were originally taken to advertise the car.

Exactly - big mistake really.

I wasn't just pointing fingers and being eliteist, I genuinely was interested to purchase a UK6TT, but these pics really put me off.

This is why I tactfully didn't post it under the "for sale" section as it wasn't fair to be negative there. I did think about PM'ing him, but I wanted others to share the experience of how not to sell a car.

You're right, for 10k it's a fair buy and you can easily afford to put right the bits you don't like.

The look of a car really does imply the treatment it's had...and yes, when buying you must look further than skin deep of course.

Originally posted by RoGuE

The look of a car really does imply the treatment it's had...

maybe, but maybe not. Loads of cars are tarted up to look good, dealers make a living out of it!

Anyone can handle a bucket and sponge, but what about oil coolant changes etc

I think you're placing too much emphasis on the assumption that washing the car so it looks good automatically means its equally looked after in all other departments.

Agreed Scooter. Mine has looked a right old shed sometimes, with brake-dusted wheels, insect-covered front, grime-covered rear and all sorts of stuff in the footwells. But mechanically and elecctronically and tuning and mod-wise it's the best possible job I can do (of course I'm always working on improving things but you know what I mean). I'll wash it, and I'll take about 4 hours doing it, but I just haven't got the patience or the inclination to get a toothbrush into the chassis welds under the carpet I can tell you.

If anyone looks at my car after I've spent eight hours straight sorting something out under the bonnet and then drive 200 miles to race it, and thinks "hmm, that's a bit grimy, must be a rusty wreck that's never seen an oil change", then they can f*** off. Same kinda person who will judge someone on the brand of the clothes and cost of the watch they wear IMO.

Buying a car based on how shiny it is is your prerogative. Slating someone daring to try and sell a car not in concourse condition is somewhat off though.

-Ian

Mine has looked a right old shed sometimes, with brake-dusted wheels, insect-covered front, grime-covered rear and all sorts of stuff in the footwells. But mechanically and elecctronically and tuning and mod-wise it's the best possible job I can do

Indeed - but would you take pictures of it straight afterwards and post them on a site to sell it?

Like I said before, I wasn't slating the guy - just expressed that I couldn't face my own cars looking like this...and many agree. It's a Supra - in my eyes it should be revered and pamapered at all times. :innocent:

Indeed - but would you take pictures of it straight afterwards and post them on a site to sell it?

Like I said before, I wasn't slating the guy - just expressed that I couldn't face my own cars looking like this...and many agree. It's a Supra - in my eyes it should be revered and pamapered at all times. :innocent:

Sell it? You've lost me :p :music:

-Ian

It's a Supra - in my eyes it should be revered and pamapered at all times. :innocent:

Naah, she should be ridden like a fucking bitch and taken to within an inch of her operational envelope - then, as the smoke clears, she should be gazed upon with wonder and awe.

If, and ONLY IF, she has performed well enough she should be allowed the odd fondle with a chamois leather now and again (and maybe some roses and chocs).

R

What a coincidence!:eek:

This purple car that you posted the advert for , well I saw it today .

The bloke works for a company called Multichem which is Based in Hexham, I was dropping some stuff off at the Council offices next door.

I pulled along side to have a look. It's one of the best looking Supra's that I've seen, very clean and shiny. :cool:

Definately worth looking at if you're after one, I'll have another look when I go back next Wednesday.