The mkiv Supra Owners Club

big diff driveshaft measurements please?

Jos

I bought a pair of big diff driveshafts from a member here, but compared to my small diff auto they measure up the same.

According the manual there should be a 5 mm difference in the lh (shortest) driveshaft, wich I don't have/see.

I also measured them compressed together with a clamp, still no difference

So if anyone has som bigg diff drivehafts lying around and the time to measure them uncompressed and compressed for me please?, so I can see if mine are wrong or the one I received

The way I measured them:

uncompressed:

attachment.php?attachmentid=149708&stc=1&d=1334086362

compressed

attachment.php?attachmentid=149709&stc=1&d=1334086362

and what/where I measured:

attachment.php?attachmentid=149710&stc=1&d=1334086362

attachment.php?attachmentid=149711&stc=1&d=1334086362

My measurements of the lh (short) shaft were 550 mm (21.7 inch) uncompressed and 520 mm (20.5 inch) compressed

of the rh long shaft 590 mm (23.2 inch) uncompressed and 565 mm (22.2 inch) compressed

P1080344.JPG

P1080419.JPG

P1080345.JPG

P1080346.JPG

• 5 months later...

Jos fwiw, i took a couple of pics before i sent out my b03b package, regarding length of the driveshafts, it's pretty difficult to measure with the photocamera in one hand and hold the centimeter and driveshaft with the other so hope this is good enough to show the difference, I can off course when my driveshafts are finished get them measured again with the help of Marcel from MRS.

8019914072_f0ca2396a4_b.jpg

Mario, thanks for the effort, I must admid I had slightly forgotten this thread :imsorry:.

I do notice from your pic's and measurements I took from 2 other sets of driveshafts (both also from manuals with big diffs) that there's quite a lot of difference in the uncompressed condition.

However, after buying 2 sets from big diffs and comparing them to my own small diff shafts in a fully compressed state I found out there actually is no difference, so there should be no problem in fitting small diff shafts in big diff setups. (As some members mentioned)

Btw, good progress on your supra :ok:, in for pic's when the diff and shaft's are fitted.