The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Auto box Fault?

MattP

Hi guys

well how to start since buying a 94 N/A Auto a couple of months ago I have slowly been making progress at rectifying bits and pieces the previous owner neglected to mention one of the problems that has been bothering me from day one, and that would be the autobox on the car has a loud whine in first and when the car becomes stationary I have gradually over the past few months had smoke coming from the auto shifter (I currently have the dash panels and centre box out making the smoke more noticable) when I have checked under the bonnet the smoke appears to be coming from the back of the engine where the gearbox joins.

Any Ideas on what could cause this

This could be connected to your other problem

Check your Cam Cover bolts are tight, they only need to be nipped up, not wrenched

They have a habit of working loose and it's possible oil is leaking down to the spark plugs (which would be causing your misfire) as well as down the back of the engine onto the gearbox

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I did notice an unusual amount of oil in the spark plug area this could be the problem il pull the car in and get this intake off.

The oil could interfere with the plugs if enough gets in there is this correct?

Sounds like this is definately your problem

I suggest you take the throttle body off and then you can get proper access and see properly with a torch

From the problems you have I would put money on the cam covers being loose, do a search, it's a common issue

Not sure on the 1st gear whine though

had a look underneath looks like its deffo the gearbox leaking oil from somewhere

Rear crank seal? are you 100% sure its from the box as i thought mine had the same problem with a leak but it was the rocker gasket. The oil then runs down the back of the block onto the top of the box, and dribbles down giving the appearance the box is leaking. The same thing can happen if the nuts are not tightened as rog said.