The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Spluttering Issue

MattP

Hi guys

Im having issue with my 94 N/A Auto after cleaning the 2 02 sensors in the exhuast manifold, I carried out the maintenance as per Konrads thread on this forum IE:lemon juice and brake cleaner and drying via air compressor, however on refitting my sensors and cleaning my air filter and applying the light misting of oil on the aftermaket filter as advised by the manufacturer My car ran fine for 1 day and is now spluttering to the point I cant really drive it.

Any Advise on what could cause this is it possible the air filters oil is gunking up a different sensor?

The oil has coated your intake sensors, preventing them from taking any readings. Cars with mafs etc hate the wet filter systems. I have only ever run them dry to combat this issue. Try unplugging the sensors while the car is running to see which makes most difference and clean it off.

Hmmmmmm this sounds alittle like what My NA auto done after I fitted the turbo kit and it was down to the 02 sensors also,

Just quickly try this mate : take the negitive battery terminal off then unplug the 2 sensors from there looms then reconnect the negitive terminal (but still leave the 02 sensors disconnected) then take if for a drive for 10-15mins if all seems fine then go and buy 2 oem lambda sensors, I know they are really expencive but at least you can drive your car and it might save you some money in the long run as you might get a little better mpg with new sensors as some of them have been in ours cars as long as 19 years lol ;)

Il try unplugging the sensors via your method Jamie but can anyone highlight the intake sensors I should clean please or point me in the direction of a thread that shows them as I am very simple and the search button is not being kind to me today.

Regards Matt

The oil has coated your intake sensors, preventing them from taking any readings. Cars with mafs etc hate the wet filter systems. I have only ever run them dry to combat this issue. Try unplugging the sensors while the car is running to see which makes most difference and clean it off.

What 2 "intake sensors" are these then? :)

I dont know if it's just me being thick here, but I dont think there is any outher sensors on the intake apart from the ICV and TPS on the throttle body but if they where bad I wouldn't of thought it would give you the problems you are having Mate :-/

You might find unplugging the o2 sensors will fix your problem.

If your car was running fine before you started to take things apart to clean them. you will normally find it's somthing to do with what you have touched if it starts to run funny stright after :)

Hope you get it sorted ASAP as I know myself, trying to find the problem is very frustrating and stressfull ;)

Right then chaps I have took all the intake to bits and cleaned it with carb cleaner and ordered some new points and plugs as the ignition leads are looking a little worse for wear

I think the culprit is a badly worn rotor arm though so il try replacing that and the dizzy cap whilst im on

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Have you looked down into the holes the plugs are in, see if there is any sign of moisture or oil, there should not be, it should be bone dry (per the other thread)

Pull the leads of the plugs, but leave the plug in place and get a decent torch and look down inside, your symptoms are exactly the same as someone that has washed the engine bay and as you have an oil leak it could well be oil down there instead of water

Sorry if you have already ruled it out, but you could be spending money for no reason

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

Right then chaps I have took all the intake to bits and cleaned it with carb cleaner and ordered some new points and plugs as the ignition leads are looking a little worse for wear

I think the culprit is a badly worn rotor arm though so il try replacing that and the dizzy cap whilst im on

I have yet to find an N/A with poor running that was fixed by new leads or a new cap or rotor arm, unless they were physically damaged. Most problems are wrong plugs, contaminants like water, oil, water / oil mix or other *rap down the plug wells, or air leaks into the manifold. It'll be "interesting" seeing how you get on changing the points ;)

There is oil in the number 5 and 6 cylinder holes so il probs pop the rocker covers off whilst im on and clean the lot up

That will be the smoke and misfire problem then, if you take the covers off, from memory the gaskets are about £25-£30 from Mr.T

II think I have some new N/A gaskets in stock at half price.

Are the TT and NA cover gaskets the same Chris? If so I might have one off you as Toyota have mine on back order and said they would ring me on the 5th but I still havnt had a call to say its in :-/