The mkiv Supra Owners Club

is my crank pulley bad?

robin

crikey, there is a fair bit of play in that, i'd be changing that for peace of mind, more so now these cars are getting really old now, and there is a fair few crank pulleys failing and ending up on the undertray below.

It could very well be just as good but as the advert says its not genuine Toyota but

made to the same spec.

Its also not half the price of a genuine Toyota CP as their around £280 with

discount inc vat

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I got a Toyota crank pulley from Whifbitz when mine gave up (a very kind 2 weeks into Supra ownership!).

I got off very lucky though as it missed everything on the way out and just went through my undertray and pinged out the back of the car.

If you are experiencing any wobble with it, I would change it immediately. Although it is a few hundred of an expenditure just now, it will - potentially - prevent £1000+ of damage otherwise. :)

As a responsible human being you owe it to fellow road users to minimize the risk of a what, 2 kilo steel ring, bouncing through their visor or windscreen. That needs changing before the car is used again. Looks pretty bad to me, if the whole pulley is loose on the nose of the crank, and it's not just the outer ring's bonding that's failed, then you might be looking at a new crankshaft. In other words it needs addressing now. Good luck with it.

As a responsible human being you owe it to fellow road users to minimize the risk of a what, 2 kilo steel ring, bouncing through their visor or windscreen. That needs changing before the car is used again. Looks pretty bad to me, if the whole pulley is loose on the nose of the crank, and it's not just the outer ring's bonding that's failed, then you might be looking at a new crankshaft. In other words it needs addressing now. Good luck with it.

Agreed !!

Get it sorted fella :) I would have changed that long ago.

Luckily for me the the car hasn't moved since the video was taken and it doesn't need to move any time soon.

A couple of years ago the timing star fell off the toothed bit behind this pulley and I had to replace the toothed gear/star pulley. To my eyes it looks like its just the outer edge that's wobbling but now I'm starting to wonder if it was all put back properly?

Agreed !!

Get it sorted fella :) I would have changed that long ago.

I appreciate the advice but this isn't a case of me neglecting the car or trying to save cash, if it is broken I want to get it sorted. :) The car was (and still is) behaving normally other than a slight wobble which I hadn't noticed until the cover/under tray was removed while doing other work.

I cant move the bolt at all.

I just started it up again and on closer inspection it looks like there is no wobble on the edge of the pulley closest to the engine but as you get further toward the front of the pulley the wobble becomes noticeable. Which part is made of rubber? If I try to wobble the pulley myself there is no play so it's starting to look to me more like the pulley wheel is deformed/misshapen or coming apart as opposed to being mounted wonky.

The outer rim is rubber bonded to the inner section, so it looks as if the rubber bond has partly failed. That's how they first start to come off, a wobble, then total failure.Certainly sounds like it needs changing. That's good news though as a crank change is not going to be cheap, or even possibly worthwhile.