The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My car has been mapped(ish)

CJ

Well, I reckon it is time for an update as I have not posted on the progress on the car and its new single turbo upgrade since its initial fitting.

Due to lots of niggly little issues (nothing to do with the kit or the e-manage) I finally managed to get the car mapped today. I am not sure what I was expecting as the only previous experience I had was via a power run some time ago. This time, the car was going to change from running a very rich base map and no boost (well, 0.9 bar on the wastegate doesnt count eh?:innocent: ) to a fully mapped beast running 1 bar and 1.4 on Optimax and 1.9 on Race Fuel.

The day went well even though there were several glitches, (big thanks to Matt H and Mig for being there and giving advice and support) but none of these were insurmountable.

OK, so you are not really interested in the RR are you? You want to know how the car goes eh? Well, at the end of the day, I left the dyno place at went out to the main road, turned right and saw a longish straight clear road - well, I mean to say, it would have been churlish not to have a go eh? Foot flat down and off I went - well, nearly! I forgot to turn on the RLTC and I just sat there, wheels spinning away quite merrily until they finally gripped - and then it was whoa!!!:eek: :) big grim time for moi!

Then it was off to join the traffic on my way to the M20. When I eventually got to the m'way, I managed to let rip again and this time was left feeling a little dissapointed. Was it me? Did I expect too much? Was it the hype of going single that had lifted my expectations to dizzying and unattainable heights? Either way, as I say, I was left feeling slightly flat. And then I noticed that the boost gauge was reading 1 bar at WOT. "Well, that cannot be right", thought I ('cos I am clever like that :) ) and then I realised that I hadnt actually turned the boost controller on and was just running off the wastegate :stupid:

So, a quick exit to the services area and a twiddle of my knobs - easy tiger! - and I was back on the road. OMG what a fecking diffference. Now this was more like it!

Tango was now pulling like a train and was frighteningly quick. I have honestly never felt anything like it and defy anyone not to be absolutely impressed by the power and speeed. It is fecking awesome.

So, once again, a massive thanks to Terry S, Matt H, Mig and dude for putting the grin back on my face in a big way.

Ah wait, I hear you say, why the "mappish"? Well, for some inexplicable reason, when the race fuel was put in and the boost upped the gain in power was not as significant as it should have been, but as it was getting late, we decided to call it quits, sleep on it and see what ideas come to us tomorrow.

The story continues...

Glad it is going OK mate, weird with the race fuel though.

Do you now understand my statement that a GENUINE 500ish bhp car is enough for the road use ;) People keep asking me for kits to achieve really high power figures on Optimax, without realising it would be pretty unusable. There are too many bogus power figures flying around IMHO.

Terry, I now understand completely what you were getting at and agree totally with what you were saying.

You wll notice that I didnt mention any power figures. This was deliberate as I didnt want to get into debates about the numbers. To my mind they are irrelevant and are only usefull as bragging rights during drinking sessions with people who know no better. Let's be honest, if I had said my car was making "X" amount of BHP, could anyone have disputed it? So whats the point?

At the end of the day, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The only true and indisputable figures are those achieved on a drag strip oir race track etc. To be honest, I have no interest in quoted power figures. I do however have an interest in the performance of my car and I can honestly say that it goes like stink!! :)

well done honkey and you must be a very happy bunny indeed ! i agree with what tel says about usable power (on the street) and your non-hp quote view as it is a pointless exercise. if you like it adn it goes like a stinking bullet - only you have to be happy with it. i am very happy for you old son !! :thumbs: :D

Hi Col

I'm glad you've got it running nice and are pleased with it.

What's it like to drive? What revs does it start making usuable boost? At what revs is it making full boost by?

I understand your point about not quoting bhp figures but it would be nice to see some dyno charts of it running the street setup (ie Optimax, 1.4bar)

Like you, many of us are not all that interested in massive peak BHP, we want lots of usable torque. So come on pal, don't be shy, let's see some dyno plots!

What I *think* Colin is saying is that his are true BHP readings. I know a lot of dyno's rolling roads give silly figures, which TBH are only any use for Pub bragging rights, silly magazines etc. They will be a lot lower than others, but I guarantee the car will be just as quick, quicker than the other with read outs far higher. Dudes is a prime example, forget the launch, look at his trap speeds, 130+ mph, yet his car has supposedly 200+ bhp less than others running the same traps or slower, which is impossible.

Therefore quoting them is utterly meaningless.

Glad it's going well CJ, I guess you're going to be up for a race on the way to the Nurburgring next time then? I too would be interested in the dyno graphs though, to see how the torque curve looks, and how it differs from the sequential system etc. Although dyno figures are often crap, surely that relates to the calculated flywheel figures, not the basic figures at the wheel or hub?

Simon, the dyno's RR etc will have correction factors which needs to be applied. If wrong it will give vastly higher figures, be that at the wheels, hubs, or flywheel. Also, you will get different figures depending on which gear you run in.

Gents, I will happily post the graphs but do not possess a scanner to enable me to transfer them to electronic format.

As soon as I visit one of my print centres i will get this done and will then post them up but this wont be until next week.

:)