The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any input on this Supra, or does anyone know of it?

Supra-duper

Been browsing the classifieds for a whilst my Astra is up for sale and ideally search for a manual n/a with the idea of doing a tt conversion, as per my wanted ad. However been offered a potential deal with this Supra..

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3787347.htm

The colour is by far my favourite, the wheels aren't my cup of tea but don't think they'd be hard to sell on after a re-furb. The 66'000KM is a big selling point however the owner has no way of backing up this mileage from what I gather. It certainly looks the part and has some real nice goodies.

I don't understand the crack with the 'Anniversary Edition' though, and the 'Anniversary Edition door cards', I always thought all the door cards were the same?

The other worry is this.. 'There is a verry small reluctancy to start with a mildly warm engine restart (this needs a tiny bit of gas to solve) *** but still starts first turn everytime *** '.. I'm hoping this would just be something simple?

To be honest, I'd still like to stick with the idea of building my own from scratch and have sourced a suitable n/a manual already, but the colour, spec etc. of this has made me look twice.

Looks tidy from the pics, I'd ask to see some interior pics, if it has only done 67K miles then it should look quite clean inside ie. hand brake, gear lever and steering wheel in good condition.

I'd take the hp claims with a pinch of salt, the Mine's exhaust is rare, the Blitz FMIC's are good quality, the wheels are good quality and would have have been around £2K new, you'd easily sell them on here for a decent price if they're not your thing. I'd get rid of the induction kit and refit a stock airbox.

I'd see if there is a knowledgeable member local to the car that could go with you to view it.

ps. it'll work out cheaper to buy a TT vs. doing an engine swap, the resale value of a genuine TT will also be better.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Looks tidy from the pics, I'd ask to see some interior pics, if it has only done 67K miles then it should look quite clean inside ie. hand brake, gear lever and steering wheel in good condition.

I'd take the hp claims with a pinch of salt, the Mine's exhaust is rare, the Blitz FMIC's are good quality, the wheels are good quality and would have have been around £2K new, you'd easily sell them on here for a decent price if they're not your thing. I'd get rid of the induction kit and refit a stock airbox.

I'd see if there is a knowledgeable member local to the car that could go with you to view it.

ps. it'll work out cheaper to buy a TT vs. doing an engine swap, the resale value of a genuine TT will also be better.

Cheers for the reply, It wouldn't be my first TT Supra so I've got a relatively good idea of what to look for, was just the starting issue that threw me a little so I'm having a search through the threads on here to see what it could be. The mileage is still reading in KM so should be around 43'000 miles from what I gather, but I will take that with a pinch of salt and like you say the interior condition should give a good indication. As for BHP, my last BPU made 404.9bhp so if it feels similar to that I'll know it's okay, not to fussed about figures just what my 'arse dyno' tells me :D

Nice to see it's got a few nice parts on, like you say though it would get a stock airbox re-fitted with a TRD panel filter if it comes my way (same as I had in my last TT). The wheels and exhaust would both be up for sale as I already have an exhaust lined up for it and as said wheels aren't my thing, so useful to know there's some resale value in them.

414 RWHP at 1.0 bar with a cat back and an air filter, either he is clueless or a complete liar either way I would steer clear.

I don't beleive the power figures for a second either, but I'm guessing he means bhp at the flywheel and there are more than a few dyno's out there that like to satisfy the customers with high figures so semi-beleivable. I'd seriously hope he has got it fully de-catted otherwise egt's are going to be sky high! Only problem is that this combined with having no proof of mileage, reluctance to start when warm, slight paint dulling on the spoiler etc. means it's a hell of a lot of money for a TT auto that is still going to need a few pound spending on it, baring in mind I sold my last BPU TT for £4250. I also thought it was vvt-i, but just checked the pictures and it isn't :(

Looks like I'll be taking your advice and steering clear!

Edited by Supra-duper (see edit history)

There are plenty of good examples out there and this one just seems a bit of a money pit. I base my decision to buy a car partly on the owner as they will be able to tell you a great deal about how the car has been looked after by the way they talk about it. If they seem clueless or start spouting rubbish I just walkaway.