The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do many people forge their Supras?

Biggenz

I know the Supra engine can make good power with stock block and internals, but not many people forge their engines from what I can see.

Why is that?

Surely you can run heaps more boost and make more power, and it can't be that expensive to do?

Plenty do. But it you don't need more than 700 hp or your happy with what you have got why would you bother spending the money on parts and labour.

I'd also be inclined to think (although I'm no expert) a stock block would be potentially more reliable at say 600 bhp than one that's pulled apart.

I guess you're right, but when I look at the parts lists of some of the guys, they've had everything done, but run moderate boost as they've got stock internals.

Maybe I'm just the odd one out, as I would like to extract everything out of the engine possible.

Have you been in a 650 ish hp supra ?

I have and for rd use i dont see much point in having any more than that as thats pretty

mental as it is, im not knocking anyone who wants more but for most its more than enough

to scare the crap out of you on dry day let alone a damp moist one :D

I guess you're right, but when I look at the parts lists of some of the guys, they've had everything done, but run moderate boost as they've got stock internals.

Maybe I'm just the odd one out, as I would like to extract everything out of the engine possible.

On a good stock 2JZ-GTE engine with a relatively small turbo (61mm - 67mm) and moderate boost (1.4 - 1.5bar) it's easy to get 550 - 600+hp, which for day to day driving is more than enough 99% of the time and if built properly using quality parts and all supporting modifications it'll be as reliable as a BPU TT - actually probably more reliable as there is a lot less to go wrong.

Depends what you want, if you're going to extract everything out of a 2JZ engine you're going to need very deep pockets.

Got mine rebuilt four years ago and went for a forged internals as I thought " may aswell while it's pulled apart" sadly I've never got round to single turbo, but that plan is next year so at least I no ill have a safe engine for what ever boost I end up running.

Do it right or don't do it at all

Forged rebuilt engines are typically hassle IMO - so many end up needing built again for various reasons and many are noisy when built - piston slap etc.

Toyota put a hell of a lot of R&D into the stock engine to make it very strong and reliable whilst being unbelieveably smooth and quiet. I think I'd replace a stock engine with a new stock engine in future given it's so good and is capable of very decent power with the right turbo / fuelling / management setup. I might go different cams depending on the turbo but that wouldn't be my priority either - the stock cams spool up a T67 or similar nice and quick, you just shift the power band up the RPM scale typically with lairier cams.

Just need to avoid a raised RPM limit mostly to keep the stock engine together so long as it's well mapped with the right management setup.