The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full Engine Rebuild

Chris Bailey

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right can someone help me here - Basically my dads supra is at Whifbitz having a full engine rebuild and i just wanted to know what they actually do in the full rebuild?

Why is it having a full rebuild? What went wrong since the charity day?

Why is it having a full rebuild? What went wrong since the charity day?

Well the valve stem seals needed replacing and so did the oil pump so apparently thats nearly £2000 inc labour - So my dad said just fully rebuild the engine then we know everything is okay :) Little disappointed that the car only made 340bhp when its fully bpu'd but the 2.5inch exhaust is restricting the power so a new exhaust will be put on the car in the near future.

Well the valve stem seals needed replacing and so did the oil pump so apparently thats nearly £2000 inc labour - So my dad said just fully rebuild the engine then we know everything is okay :) Little disappointed that the car only made 340bhp when its fully bpu'd but the 2.5inch exhaust is restricting the power so a new exhaust will be put on the car in the near future.

I'd be surprised if the exhaust was to blame. I nearly made 400bhp on my NA-T and I've a 2.5" exhaust. I had ignition and ECU problems. Flow was the last of my worries.

No not at all - My dad has put alot of money into the car since feb ( Which is when he brought it ) We brought it with a few little issues. It had an oil leak which never got found the usual things got changed like the cam cover seals etc. Me and my dad are supra newbies so he brought the car as a little project for me and him to have father and son time. He brought the car thinking it was fully bpu'd because that's what the previous owner put on the add. But later on we found out that the car was not bpu so he spent money making it fully bpu inc boost controller and the full works. We had the car put on a dyno at Austec racing charity event and it made 340bhp @1.2 bar. Now i know that a fully bpu supra should make 380-400bhp depending on the condition of the engine. Bearing in mind the engine has only done 57,000 miles which is pretty low so it should off made the 380+bhp. So as i said he's been putting loads of money into the car which is like putting a plaster onto a artery bleeds. So he decided to have the full engine rebuild knowing that it will be a fresh engine a clear of problems (hopefully).

P.S Im only 17 so most of that probs doesnt make sense lol

Why does the oil pump need changing?

I'm confused with that one too. And if Chris (and his Dad) thinks that by having the seals and oil pump done it is going to make more power then they are going to be disappointed - again.

The car was owned by Ian smith for 6 years and he looked after it and gave the car everything it needed - the previous owner who my dad brought it off never looked after it he just thrashed it and left it in a garage. Even when we changed the spark plugs there looked like they hadnt been changed for years!