The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broke my engine

wewsupra

Hi there thought i would put a post up about my car

on the 24th march i set off to go to santa pod fast show ,on the morning in question i loaded my car with the tent,food ,drink ect ect

and the wife :tongue:

I went to the local petrol station and put 70 pounds worth fuel in the supra

as she was empty.anyway i set of from the petrol station floored the supra and the turbos was kicking in soo sweet that morning.

i live in walsall so i jumped of the motorway jun 9 m6 south

I was driving along at a speed of say 70-75mph but i did go a bit harder here and there along the m6 (south)

around jun 6 a vw scirocco came behind me so i thought id burn him off and i did very easy, he was a dot in my mirrior and he gave up

Well around jun 4 on the m6 my wife heard a rattle coming from the front end o the car so i put my drivers window down and i myself heard a small rattle but when i put my foot on the revs the rattle would stop and only rattle when i took my foot of revs .

So i slowed down to 60 mph and went into the first lane of the motorway and checked the warning lights ect .

All was ok

i thought corley services is like 5 miles away and if i could make it there ,then i could check whats wrong ,well engine cut out on me 4 miles from services and i had to pull on to hard shoulder ,i tried to turn engine over but it would not start then i noticed steam coming from under my hood ,i opened bonnet and coolent box was peeing out water from top.

To cut a long story short RAC came out and checked they said engine damage maybe crank or shells and told me looks like it bad luck as this can happen from time to time and that id been real unlucky , ( i even had a tear in my eye wtf its a god dam car )

When RAC guy started the car the supra was starting up and not cutting out but rattle was bad then the RAC called a low loader and the car got took back to my garage in walsall to be checked out.

i was now in a rush to get to santa pod as the day was gettin on

A mate was going to santa pod in his 1.2 corsa old shape so i jumped in with him and ended going for the weekend

(took a bit longer to get there and not the same as pulling in santa pod with my pride and joy)

I still had a great weekend and all my mates there was gutted for me.

Ive been offerd a mates engine vvti (1998)(49k) so im buying that and its been fitted around 20th april including all the set up as im going to rotterdam DB so its going to be tight

my mate who has a n/a supra has brought the damged engine off me for a project for him and i sold it him with loom ,ecu ,turbos at a mates rate

just thought id share my pain :(

some postives have come from this

i broke down m6 jun 4 (not far from home)

and thank god this did not hapen in rotterdam

when people was short of fuel other day i told my mates i got 70 pound stuck in the supra if they need it :p:p:p

Edited by wewsupra (see edit history)

You'd like to think it would be pretty obvious to a decent garage if the crank pulley

had failed, if the engine has failed due to the crank mains or big end shells failing

then its possibly not the bargin it might appear.

Only time will tell when the engine is stripped if its worth rebuilding or not.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Gutted for you fella. I always thought the bottom crank was pretty much bullet prof on the 2JZ

Only if there looked after with correct fluids etc, maybe this one had had a hard life, if looked after

they should go for quite a while.

Obviously there will also be some that just dont do the miles due to parts failure for no apparent reason.

My first UK spec had turbo failure at approx 40k and that was totally stock

If this one has overheated which it sounds like it has then i'd be very wary about rebuilding it

as the head could well be scrap due to it being warped and or going soft due to the heat.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I think I saw you pulled over mate as I was going in the other direction. Can't have been long after you had stopped. There was no rac or anything with you yet. Unlucky :( good look with the vvti.

was you in your supra

its not crank pully as they have checked that and ive asked them again today

my mate who brought my engine has got turbos.tt loom ,tt ecu and everythink else if he cant not fix it ,he can sell the parts and it will cover what he has paid me easy

if anythink he would make more cash (so you can tell how cheap ive sold it him for )

• 1 month later...

thought id update with a few photos

since my car has been of the road

old broken engine has come out needs new oil pump.shells and crank but as time is tight for rotterdam and i got offerd a

new engine for such a good price i could not refuse.

new engine is a twin turbo vvti 49k from a 1998 supra

So ive sold my old engine to my mate and turbos and ecu and loom for a stupied cheap price lol

Garage doing work said why the engine was out i might as well have engine bay sprayed same as car and tbh i was going to do this anyway

engine will be fitted this week and test drove then i hope it all set for rotterdam

ive also brought a lot of small bits while it been of road.

528692_3389210644976_1110897669_33259502_520268202_n.jpg

528795_3389449170939_1110897669_33259680_284434487_n.jpg

558500_3389447210890_1110897669_33259679_623622906_n.jpg

554062_279111678832473_100002009307868_613269_1236969999_n.jpg

560313_10151478191815112_670310111_23543849_480404494_n.jpg

Here is a few photos of engine from VVTI

first one is pic of vvti in old car

3rd photo is old engine coming out and me ha ha

also car got fitted with a warlbro fuel pump yesterday and new front discs and pads

ive got black headliner and visors to put on it this week along with carbon fuse box and shiny fan surround

the spark plug cover is going blue also while cars there i think there going to paint al lthe dash blue

also got face lift clocks to be fitted along with engine

530961_10151478470130252_718860251_23869633_865848722_n.jpg

581243_3478649197837_1019468752_3312262_69199370_n.jpg

318279_297177230359251_100002009307868_655089_2042263299_n.jpg