The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need to pass emission testing

Samurai 20V

Hi guys..

I am busy trying to sort out re-licencing my car.

I have full decat, and today I found out the shop that did the decat for me tossed the original in the trash.

So I need to get an OEM cat back in place to pass the emission testing.

My question is should I take a chance and fit just the first decat or should I go with the both? I am not sure of the details of the test, I am trying to find out.

Even the used cats are expensive, I am trying not to spend too much as I am gonna fit the decat back in place pretty much as soon as the car is back on the road.

Any help is appreciated.

I know in Japan that there are 'pre-testing' centres that will charge a much smaller amount but will let you know if the car will pass or fail without having to fork out the cost of the actual test twice.

The shop I am dealing with conduct the testing, but they are not sure if 1 cat will be sufficient to pass.

I asked them to check in any way they can.

Thanks for the info though, this test is so damn expensive.

The shop I am dealing with conduct the testing, but they are not sure if 1 cat will be sufficient to pass.

I asked them to check in any way they can.

Thanks for the info though, this test is so damn expensive.

Do you know the emission criteria in Japan it needs to comply with?

According to THIS THREAD the UK is CO% below 0.2/0.3% at 2.500-3000 rpm and HC below 200ppm. If you can find out what the Japanese regulations are then there'll be members on here that'll know what their emissions were with no cats, 1 cat and both cats.

Do you have 2 separate decat pipes - 1 for each cat - or 1 decat pipe that replaces both? The 2nd cat is the easier of the two to fit, so if it'll pass with just the second cat that'd be the best one to get.

Hi Nic..

It seems the emissions tests in Japan are as follows according to Wikipedia, but I will confirm with the shop directly to make sure.

I have separate decats, one for the 1st and another for the second.

I need to confirm the noise levels as well, the car is damn loud, not sure if it will pass with 1 cat only..

"Cars older than 10 years may emit up to 4.5% carbon monoxide and up to 1200ppm unburned hydrocarbons. This emission standard is laid out in the Japanese Emission Standard legislation. High flow catalytic converters are allowed. Exhaust noise is tested at a 45-degree angle, 50 centimetres (20 inches) from the tailpipe outlet. Vehicles up to 10 years old may emit not more than 96 decibels; older vehicles are allowed 103 dB."