The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The 'proper' way of deleting the air con pump

Parry_10

I had an idea of using something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURNBUCKLE-STRAINER-FENCE-WIRE-TENSIONER-EYE-EYE-BZP-10MM-21E3-/130665067175?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item1e6c3eb2a7#ht_509wt_952

but a bit nicer looking!

So that any play could be dialed out, or just make a bar to support the p/s pump.

Yeh I think a strong bar would be best just seeing what other members have done

i've done mine, i took out the pump, rad, fan and all the pipes, i block off the pipes near the bulkhead with a home made blanking plate, i ran the shorter belt supplied by whifbitz and with the old aircon pump i striped it down so i just had the bracket left that mounts to the power steering pump etc so i knew everything was held in the correct oem position and just had the bracket powder coated black

i've done mine, i took out the pump, rad, fan and all the pipes, i block off the pipes near the bulkhead with a home made blanking plate, i ran the shorter belt supplied by whifbitz and with the old aircon pump i striped it down so i just had the bracket left that mounts to the power steering pump etc so i knew everything was held in the correct oem position and just had the bracket powder coated black

Got a picture mate?

right i've checked my phone no pictures on there so they all must be on the laptop , ill try and get it working so i can upload some pictures for you, if not i'll take a picture on my phone of how i've done it on the supe ok mate,

ok mate cheers:thumbs:

I removed all of my aircon and haven't made a support bar as yet. It seems quite secure but better safe than sorry, I'll be making a support bracket before I drive the car anywhere. The belt type required is 6pk1865, this translates to 6 grooves and 1865cm long. I think its a standard fit on some Mercedes. I found a Dayco one on Ebay for £12.

I removed all of my aircon and haven't made a support bar as yet. It seems quite secure but better safe than sorry, I'll be making a support bracket before I drive the car anywhere. The belt type required is 6pk1865, this translates to 6 grooves and 1865cm long. I think its a standard fit on some Mercedes. I found a Dayco one on Ebay for £12.

Ok cheers. Had a look only belts that came up were £16

Just had a look at the pump and it supports the power steering pump as well so if you dont use some sort of bracket in effect you are putting more stress on the power steering pump. I think you can remove the front casing of the air con pump and leave that in place which will keep the power steering pump supported as well. Thats my theory anyway from just looking at it in my engine bay.

C.W. reckons air-con removal can lead to a cracked block unless the PAS pump is supported properly.

Stands to reason, teh PS pump was part supported by the aircon pump, would be best to keep some kind of support there, these things are engineered in for a reason I guess.

exactly why I said I rekon you can remove the face of the air con pump which is that bracket part that supports the power steering pump and leave that bolted on then do away with the rest of the pump and system. I dont know this for a fact until I strip it down but im confident by looking at it

If you insist on removing the pump, :think: attack it with an angle grinder and reduce it to a bracket.

no i rekon the front face is detatchable by looking at it which is the part that supports the power steering pump but like I said I dont know this for certain until I get mine off the car, where did I say anything about attacking it with an angle grinder and reducing it to a bracket :S

Please keep us informed on if you can use the outer case of the pump as a support as I'm really interested in doing this. It would be a great help

no problem but im not sure when I will be doing mine as ive got other things to do on the car, im sure someone on the forum will know if the front casing part unbolts/detatches from the pump, someone must have done it before or have an air con pump lying about.