The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New MOT regs - anyone worried?

Tee from China

Reading an article of PH the other day regarding the new MOT regulations (which have yet to come into force- but they will) regarding deletion of OE equipment such as ABS and rear seat deletes.

As I understand it if it is a road legal competition car such as a race/rally prepared car that is little used road-wise but for competition use has to be road legal then the changes will not be used but for a pure road car anything that should be there when new has to stay such as the rear seat etc so how do members who have deleted their OE ABS or changed the steering wheel etc feel?

Read for yourselves here:- http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25433&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=html&utm_campaign=2012-3-28

More of these silly rumers I think. Don't see how removing rear seats would pose a safety risk to anyone.it's not a hard job to put them back in anyway. And I never understood removal of abs for a road car anyway. Some supras didn't have it to start with anyway. So how will they know :p

Cars that are plainly modified for serious track use will be judged on their own merits. Ie harnesses, seat mounting points, airbag removal etc etc. This wont mean that they are excused from the Cat regs etc tho, high flow cats must be present if the car is of the age that a cat deletion is illegal. This is just as I understand it and there are many other regs etc involved.

More of these silly rumers I think. Don't see how removing rear seats would pose a safety risk to anyone.it's not a hard job to put them back in anyway. And I never understood removal of abs for a road car anyway. Some supras didn't have it to start with anyway. So how will they know :p

I agree and never understand removing safety features on a road car. As to a rear seat delete if a ICE install has been done then maybe not an easy thing to fit the seats back and some have sold their seats on so wouldn't have them anyway!

As to whether a car had such things factory fitted I would think for instance that the ABS or Air-bag sensors would indicate whether a car had standard ABS/Air-bags or not as they would usually be left as clues to a keen-eyed tester

Edited by Tee from China
added (see edit history)

The MOT manual says:

If an ABS or ESC system has been intentionally rendered inoperative, the whole system must be removed. However, this does not apply to sensor rings or other ABS components which are an integral part of another component e.g. brake disc or drive shaft.

and

On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

For ABS etc. they basically check that the warning light comes on the dash when you turn the ignition on, then check that it goes out once the engine is running - either of these things don't happen it fails.

Not sure why removal of seats would be a fail? As long as all fixings and seatbelts are removed as well.

another (small) reason why I sold up - MOT regs. Mind you with my current vehicle as it has a towbar and electrics fitted - these will be now tested!

This pisses me off as i have an old Rav4 with towbar etc but ive never used it so now if it dont work i'll fail an MOT, I think i'll just remove i was going to leave it on just incase i ever needed to pull a trailer or sell the vehicle.

The MOT manual says:

If an ABS or ESC system has been intentionally rendered inoperative, the whole system must be removed. However, this does not apply to sensor rings or other ABS components which are an integral part of another component e.g. brake disc or drive shaft.

and

On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter.

I like this though. "Cherck the presence" of a catalytic converter. :)

On my last honda, i had the cat removed, the guts taken out, then welded back up as a straight through pipe. According to this, that's fine as they just check the presence :)

you know what really JACKS ME OFF big style..........People like us that modify cars and take pride in our cars are less likely to have things like, brakes not working, bald tyres etc. Yet it always seem to be us that they crack down on??

Why not introduce a rule that says you can't drive a car if you wear a tracksuit (sorry for chav stereotyping there).

Peter

I like this though. "Cherck the presence" of a catalytic converter. :)

On my last honda, i had the cat removed, the guts taken out, then welded back up as a straight through pipe. According to this, that's fine as they just check the presence :)

and if it qualifies (1993 on) they do the cat test and it will fail ;)

My discovery has a Cat, but they dont test cats on Diesels :D just the smoke test.

I would have thought it would apply more to newer cars than the Supra. As mentioned some variants of most production cars wont have x item but all the cabling/mounting points for it. Unless the MOT test becomes an invasive test it wont be possible to determine what is what. Would effectively end up meaning that only manufacturers could complete an MOT on their own brand as they would be the only ones who know enough about what has what.

It seems more to combat bodged 'stripped out' Corsa boy who removed airbags, ABS, drilled his own brakes etc and ends up killing someone as a result.

It seems more to combat bodged 'stripped out' Corsa boy who removed airbags, ABS, drilled his own brakes etc and ends up killing someone as a result.

...which shows just how out-of-date the Government is. These very people can't afford to run their cars anymore.

Mine passed the other day with no cats (95 N/A). Was put into a local MOT station and I don't know any of them.

The only strange thing was that they put on the advisory notice that I had aftermarked suspension, eventhough it is standard.

According to the latest seminar, they're removing emissions from the test, eventually. Tow bar sockets to be tested are only the 13 pin sockets, I've yet to see one come in for test.

VOSA constantly move the goal posts, so much so that the SN's aren't as up to date as the people who host the seminars. It's all bullpoop!

Mine passed the other day with no cats (95 N/A). Was put into a local MOT station and I don't know any of them.

The only strange thing was that they put on the advisory notice that I had aftermarked suspension, eventhough it is standard.

Technically speaking if it was manufactured before 31/7/95 then it is supposed to take a non cat test so won't require a visual cat check, if it was made later it should fail on no cats (unless the garage are nice ofc).

The cat test applies to vehicles built between 31st August 1992 - 1st september 2002, the limit became lower on vehicles built after 1st Sept 2002.

It doesn't apply to vehicles built before 31/7/95 which have no exact match in the VOSA database though, such as the N/A JZA80 (DB only has JZA80 with 2JZ-GTE) or to any vehicle converted to LPG.

Technically speaking if it was manufactured before 31/7/95 then it is supposed to take a non cat test so won't require a visual cat check, if it was made later it should fail on no cats (unless the garage are nice ofc).

Good to know mate, cheers.

Edit: just looked at the V5 and mine was first registered in 02/95

Edited by al02uk (see edit history)