The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Deep scratch removal

fri3ndly

My supra has a deep 1 inch scratch on one side panel of the car and it has been annoying me for a while. I have had bad experiences in the past with touch up paint however just found this video on YouTube:

Before I go and buy a similar deep scratch repair kit will somebody talk me out of it? Or has anybody had good experiences with a kit like this? Sellers of this type of product seem to have great feedback on ebay.

What alternatives is there other than getting a respray?

Thanks!

The other way to touch it up is to put layer upon layer upon layer of paint into the scratch allowing each one to dry completely. This will take a fair bit of time. When you have the paint level slightly above the rest of the car body, you can then use an abrasive compound and then t-cut to get it level with the rest of the panel.

By using only the colour paint in layers, and not any filler or undercoat, it means when you take the paint back, it will always be the right colour.

The problem with using any kind of filler is that the filler will always be level with the rest of the paint so when you touch up over the top it will always be slightly raised. Then when you cut back to be level, you will expose the filler/primer.

I used this method on a Black camaro when someone keyed the side of the door. was a big, long deep scratch and took me ages to do it but it was worth the time and effort.

Hope this helps

Peter

That scratch looks like it is down to metal and the metal has begun to corrode. Am I right? If you simply paint over the oxidisation, it will continue to react and bubble under the new paint and also under the original layers and become even more unsightly. The only way to sort it now is to take it back to metal, prime it properly and then paint it, silver is a nightmare to match though so you might be better off doing the full panel, even the whole side of the car due to colour matching on silvers being nigh on impossible.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it though mate.

Thanks for the advice everyone, Peter that sounds like a good idea. I might try that and if it doesn't go so welll take it to a body shop. I am not considering selling the supra any time - Dnk, would what Peter suggested even with the Kurust cause a problem in the future?