The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre help

linconhawk

Hey all,

I need some new tyres for the old beast...

fronts: 235/45/17

rears: 275/40/17

The cheapest i can find for the rears is about £192.00 each...

Is there any where i can get cheaper ones ? or can i change the tyre size on the rears to something a bit cheaper ? I dont know much about tyres etc, do i have to keep the width to 275 ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've used some part worn shops and dont think i'd trust any of them, most round this neck of

the woods will happily sell you anything regardless of any damage the tyre might have suffered.

This is the only part that keeps you in contact with the road and i personally wouldnt risk it

unless i new where the tyres had come from as in a respected member on hear perhaps.

Standard tyres on 17s were 235/45 and 255/40. 255s could probably save you £50 a tyre.

Compare the price you've been given with the online price from, say, Camskill and MyTyres (although I have to say that online would rarely save me more than a few quid on buying from my local place).

£150 for a 275/40-17 Pilot Sport would be a good price... MyTyres want £365 for a PS2! :faint:

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Wow, Thanks guys for the quick replies...

I guess i should have mentioned, the price was inc fitting etc...

Not too sure what the width of the actual wheel is... they are the Uk spec toyota 17" and its a NA.

So, if i can put 255's on the back... not being funny, but why would someone change them to 275 and make them more expensive, lol....

how much difference will the back tyres look from behind going from 275 to 255 ??

TIA

I went from 275/40 to 255/45 and the tyre height isnt far off, 20mm in the width doesn't sound a lot but I noticed it. The previous owner must have preferred the wider stance with the 275's. If he bought them as part worn he probably payed about £120 for the pair.

I've used some part worn shops and dont think i'd trust any of them, most round this neck of

the woods will happily sell you anything regardless of any damage the tyre might have suffered.

This is the only part that keeps you in contact with the road and i personally wouldnt risk it

unless i new where the tyres had come from as in a respected member on hear perhaps.

Laws concerning the sale of part worn tyres are far more stringent than those concerning new ones. The tyres can't be older than 3 yrs old, they're usually tested to 50 p.s.i and you can often get a good make for a lot less than a budget tyre. I trust my local part worn supplier 100%, but then I have used him for 8 years or so and buy more than the average punter does to running 4 cars. Its horses for courses I suppose though. Some people just feel better buying new, esp for higher performance applications. I dont have anything with more than 200bhp...:)

Just fit the correct size and you'll be fine, there is absolutely no need to put 275's on the rears.

235 45 17 fronts and 255 40 17 rears

What are you being quoted for ? £160 is still expensive unless your having Michelins or the top end tyres.

A local tyre shop should only charge £10 per tyre to fit and balance them !!

Check out camskill as the Michelin PS3'S in 235 45 17 are £130 delivered each !!

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Laws concerning the sale of part worn tyres are far more stringent than those concerning new ones. The tyres can't be older than 3 yrs old, they're usually tested to 50 p.s.i and you can often get a good make for a lot less than a budget tyre. I trust my local part worn supplier 100%, but then I have used him for 8 years or so and buy more than the average punter does to running 4 cars. Its horses for courses I suppose though. Some people just feel better buying new, esp for higher performance applications. I dont have anything with more than 200bhp...:)

You best come have a look round some of the part worn tyre shops here in B'ham, i wouldnt let them supply

tyres to go on a pram let alone a high speed sports car

Ok, Thanks so much for your help....

The £160 was for Falkens... so, nothing special....I think i will save some money and go with the 255's on the rear and stick to the standard fronts.

Thanks again...

Thats ridiculous for Falkens, their under £100 each delivered from camskill, you will save

money if you find another tyre shop as the place quoting you is taking the pee

You best come have a look round some of the part worn tyre shops here in B'ham, i wouldnt let them supply

tyres to go on a pram let alone a high speed sports car

Hahaha, I can well believe it. There are similar suppliers up this way, I guess if you dont know the ones to trust then you cant trust any of them then!

I think the op would be better off buying rd tyres, Falken 452's or Avon zz3's are plenty

good enough for an NA :)

The Kuhmos are track day tyres that are rd legal, the k90

is a hard compond for tarmac or gravel rally stages or closed circuit racing.

Not sure what kind of wet weather grip you'd get on the rd with those !

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I think the op would be better off buying rd tyres, Falken 452's or Avon zz3's are plenty

good enough for an NA :)

+1 here for the Falken 452s, had them on my NA and even ran them on my single, used both cars on circuit with them too although they were very entertaining on the single :D

EDIT: just to add I only use stock sizes ;)