The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can anybody explain whats happend to my Turbo's ? ? ?

little num

Well i was at Rockingham trackday with my brother and some other forum member saturday 17th march.

All was going well with some great drifting in the morning due to the rain and then deicded to put the race slicks on for the afternoon as it was drying out nicely.

Anyway was doing well and car seemed to be flying round, when after about 5 laps at 1.45 bar the car suddenly dropped boost down to 1.0 bar.

So thought hmm vacuum pipe split or maybe boost pipe split, so decided to stay out a few laps but the car was slow so came in to check what pipe had split.

After pressuring the system with a foot pump and not finding any split pipes i decided to put it back together and just turn the boost controller up so i was back to 1.4.

Although the car was quick it still didnt feel quite right, bit laggy but just put it down to me thinking somthing was wrong.

Anyway decided to check further today so stripped the turbo's off to take a closer look and found this.

Now i have taken out the sidemount intercooler to see if there was anything stuck in it as if anything that might have gone through the turbo's would still be in the intercooler.

There was little bits of turbo but nothing else so any idea's of to why this would happen.

They are turbo technics units so have steel blades both sides but obviously was never designed to push the power i was so could they have ripped there owns fins off as they are both exactly the same.

Im not getting them repaired as i cant be bothered to lol, so have now been forced to single.

What turbo would be suggest for the 2.5 1JZ engine, i only want to run 450 BUT want a turbo that is rated to say 550 so its not stressed at 450, and would like to have a good spooling unit so i dont lose low down power.

No idea what happened there, but I'd go for a GTX30R on a T4 flange with 0.82 or 1.06 A/R. Good spool, brilliant top end and 450bhp easy

Looks a nice turbo that, but slightly out my price range.

I know its not alot but £600 is my limit at the minute as i have to buy manifold - downpipe - oil lines and so on.

Iwish i had more money to spend but unless i sell somthing to help fund it then my turbo budget is £600 - £700 max.

Edited by little num (see edit history)

You'll get a good gt35r for that money, obviously not as fast spooling as the gtx30 but they're readily available secondhand.

That's also a very good shout - but, would it not be a little bit more laggy on the 2.5? (Hence my saying the GTX30R)

Yes run a K&N panel filter with stock box, i have little bits of turbo in the intercooler so if anything had gone into them that would also be in the intercooler.

And as both have done the exact same thing im thinking its the fact i was pushing them too hard and they have stripped the inlet side of the fins.

Even though they were like this with the boost controller turned up they was still performing well lol, But was making the water system quite hot.

Obviously they would have got worst if i kept pushing them to give me what i wanted and perhaps cause more problems.

Is that the cold air compressor side? If so - something busted its way through/around the air filter? Did you have any offs and pick up some gravel? Had the air box apart and left a spanner in there? ;)

That would be my guess, maybe even a box of spanners!?:)

Yes run a K&N panel filter with stock box, i have little bits of turbo in the intercooler so if anything had gone into them that would also be in the intercooler.

And as both have done the exact same thing im thinking its the fact i was pushing them too hard and they have stripped the inlet side of the fins.

Even though they were like this with the boost controller turned up they was still performing well lol, But was making the water system quite hot.

Obviously they would have got worst if i kept pushing them to give me what i wanted and perhaps cause more problems.

Still think something has flown through. It looks exactly like the damage i had when mine blown on the Volvo. Maybe it's gotten through the intercooler because it got shredderd small enough?

I cant see how somthing could of done this as it would have done it to just 1 turbo not both, and the little fins behind the busted ones are perfect so if somthing had gone onto the turbo's wouldnt it have smashed the smaller fins also.

For my theory to be right there would have been several things - e.g. gravel - because both turbos have been busted up. "The fins behind" = if they are spinning at the same speed as the smashed ones then you probably wouldn't get any more damage: the leading edge ones are hit first (and hardest), they've brought the debris up to speed and then it's just fallen through. I guess it either got smashed up small enough to get through the engine (!) or it's still in the intake, somewhere.

It is just a theory though, you know more about these things than me mate :)

That's also a very good shout - but, would it not be a little bit more laggy on the 2.5? (Hence my saying the GTX30R)

Definately, but he'll still get full boost just as quick as the 1JZs stock turbos. The GTX30R would definately be my first choice, but I doubt he'll find one for the money he's looking at spending, where GT35Rs come up for sale all the time.

I want a GTX28R on my Audi :cool: