The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Test n Tune @ Santa Pod

DARETT

Had an amazing day at the pod today. Got to see some awesome machinery and see Stu's beast hurtle down the track.

170mph at low boost is something special!!! It's a special machine.

It was my first time out in the pod in this car and I was pretty nervous beforehand.

It was also the 1st time the car has ever seen a drag strip since being built up.

It didn't help that the linelock also decided to fail on the day :( especially when I was using brand new slicks that needed ALOT of heat to get going.

That all meant that the 1st run out was a 2.2 60ft!!!!

As well as that we only had 35 litres of race fuel, and on the stock fuel tank that meant fuel surge!! :(

The motec like the syvecs pulls up the safety parameters when the fuel pressure drops so it meant I had to let off and cruise through the top. Time ended up on that run to be a 10.5@137, which was pretty promising as a starting point.

We then decided to just concentrate on leaving right and getting the 60ft down.

Ryan readjusted the launch control and off we went again.

This time the burnout was better and the car hooked like crazy!!

End result was a 1.34 60ft, which was amazing for a stock chassis 6 speed car. On a full run with that launch a 8.9-9.1 was definitely on the cards.

Next time we'll be a little more prepared and come early enough to get more than 2 runs in, but all in all was a great day!

Big thanks to Ryan.G for doing his thing, and Gary/VJ/Simon/Ebo for help getting the car ready on the day :)

Also Cody Phillips for all the advice on the setup and help getting it right suspension and build wise!

Here's the vids of the 2 runs. The 2nd vid is the 1.34 60ft

Boost wise I run around 36psi which was around 1160 last time it dyno'd. Off the line I only held the two step up to 14psi, the track wasn't in great shape so we thought we'd ease in.

It's the biggest rush ever though when the car hooks. Steering begins right away and you literally feel the front end trying to lift the wheels right off the ground. With the drag tyres on low pressure the car moves around the whole way down the track.

Stuart and guys with his sort of setup have some nerves of steel driving those machines down there at 180+!!

Thanks guys, its all a learning curve and a steep one at that!

It is the best 60ft of any stock chassis supra in the UK so I'm moving in the right direction. With the help of the experienced guys like Stu/Dude I hope I can pilot the car to it's full potential. If not then I'll get one of them to drive it and get an 8! Lol

Just checked out the 1.34 run - did you let off /feather the throttle and cause it to bog slightly a few times, or was the suspension just a little too loose & rebounded? Looked to my untrained eye like there's a few tenths left in the launch even! Which is very scary for how fast this car will be :D

:D

We needed more boost on the launch. I only left with 14 psi, so it unloaded completely and bogged instead of hooking right up.

In theory with more boost it should just hook as soon as it unloads. After talking to a few guys on the overall setup with some tweaks a 1.2x should be potentially possible... It's a big old tyre, but works pretty well :D

is it your first time drag racing,its the first time i have seen your car in action.must be mad 1.3 60 foot.my best was 1.7 on stock wheels on bfg drag radials,when it launces right you know its going to be a good run and all your inside goes funny then its just getting gears right changing at right revs.its a lot harder launching a 6 speed.does the 2 step help keep turbo on boost for launching.well done on your time

:D

We needed more boost on the launch. I only left with 14 psi, so it unloaded completely and bogged instead of hooking right up.

In theory with more boost it should just hook as soon as it unloads. After talking to a few guys on the overall setup with some tweaks a 1.2x should be potentially possible... It's a big old tyre, but works pretty well :D

Ah, forgot you left at 14 pounds! I'd be surprised if you'd not get close to a 1.2something with leaving harder ;) Just get that fuel surge sorted and crank up the boost :D

is it your first time drag racing,its the first time i have seen your car in action.must be mad 1.3 60 foot.my best was 1.7 on stock wheels on bfg drag radials,when it launces right you know its going to be a good run and all your inside goes funny then its just getting gears right changing at right revs.its a lot harder launching a 6 speed.does the 2 step help keep turbo on boost for launching.well done on your time

Thanks mark

Yup first time out in the Supra. I used to go in my Subaru before, it was running high 10's but launching a 4wd is a piece of cake in comparison!

You got a great time considering your setup with the BFG's etc.

2 step helps no end, it holds the boost right there and at the correct revs as well. You have a roll out feature as well to prevent the tyres blowing off at higher boost launches.

Ah, forgot you left at 14 pounds! I'd be surprised if you'd not get close to a 1.2something with leaving harder ;) Just get that fuel surge sorted and crank up the boost :D

Hopefully it works out next time. I know the car can do it, just depends on if it needs a driver mod as well. ;)

looks and sounds great mate

Cheers