The mkiv Supra Owners Club

That Love Hate Thing!

a98pmalcolm

I can't stand my Supra ATM I'm so pissed off at it. I spend all the money I earn on it, buying the best I can afford with it and it still does a number on me!!!

This damn clutch!!

I was nearly stuck miles from home tonight. I was driving down a bypass and I put my foot down only a little (I've been driving sensibly with this clutch problem) and the clutch heavily slipped, so eased off the throttle and stayed in that gear and came to a round about. When I took it out that gear the clutch pedal was very soft and I could feel vibration through the pedal and I couldn't get it it in any gear.

When I tried to force it into gear the car would try to move forward like my foot was off the pedal but it wasn't liking it at all.

So I turned the engine off. Put it in gear and turned over the engine while pushing the clutch pedal down and the flywheel rattled very loudly and the car wouldn't start. So I sat there with the engine off and hazards on for a few minutes before calling the AA out (not as if there would be able to do much) but before I called I thought as the clutch would have cooled down now I'll give it another go. Started the car out of gear and managed to get it into 3rd so I drove home sitting at 40mph in 3rd.

Time I got home I could get all gears working and its back to its original problem with the biting point being pretty much on the top of the pedal and it not feeling as snappy as it did.

I went for a drive to let my mind go to ease my thoughts and this happens! Will I get stuck on the way to work if I drive very carefully? Who knows! Piece of crap! And I have one of my directors in tomorrow with my promotion inline...

And ontop of that my fuel level is stayed on full! So clocks have to come out out again....

Sorry for the rant but I hate the damn thing at the moment.... Only 10 months ago a stage 4 clutch went in... :banghead:

Cars are the most frustrating things in the world mate. When they are going well you love them, they look great, feel great and respond to you just like you want them to, they make you feel a miilon dollers BUT when things ain't right they are so frustrating, everything seems to be wrong and it's just one little thing after another but it will all come good again mate, keep the faith.

Wait a minute is that cars or women I'm talking about? Meh! take your pick.

Seriously though, it's just one of those things, get it sorted and you'll soon get back the smile. :)

Thanks for the responses guys.. Yer I know I will love it again when its all working..

Stock clutch wore out in less than a year on my BPU Supra and I'm planning on single turbo this year so need a good clutch.

Could be Slave and Master cylinders so I'm getting them changed 1st.

• 3 weeks later...

Little update all. Got my new clutch fitted today. Had to go for another competition clutch stage 4.

All is better now. Biting point is very low (stalled it when I 1st drove off) man I felt a douche. But I'm so used to the biting point so high.

There is a small lip on the flywheel but Darren at Whifbitz did rub it down a little (thanks to Paul organising it and Darren for doing it on such short notice)

Paul will send off the clutch as its only 10 months old. So hopefully I will be able to claim back what it cost me. It looked very warn and 1/2 of a puck was just totalled. TBH this shouldn't happen after 10 months on a BPU supra when the clutch is rated to go up to 700BHP especially as Competition Clutch advertise it as a "non slip clutch"

And I don't think I've even covered 5000 miles!! So lets see how it gets on. I will let you all know

Paul

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Mine has been sat on the drive with sorry eyes for months now. I was in the process of moving house when my big end bearings started to rattle, I was like For F**k sake not now of all times. All my savings had gone on the deposit so Im now paying my mortgage and trying to save up whilst driving and paying for another car amongst other things we need for the house.

Im so skint its untrue. I keep thinking about selling her on but then every time i come on the owners club it reminds me of how much i love the bloody thing when it worked. So im still finding every penny i can to get her fixed. Its not fair but at least im now on the housing ladder too.

Keep you chin up and keep throwing money at it, its the only way haha.