The mkiv Supra Owners Club

White smoke but not very offen, Any ideas?

Blackie

I have noticed when i come off boost, Right off the throttle to basically rolling i notice quite a lot of white smoke behind me. I also noticed that the Supra seemed abit "Lumpy" while it was happing, Now a trusted mate has told me its most lightly my turbo seals but im wondering if there could be any chance of a plug fouling? (Before i go getting new turbos)

Ive seen it happen three times in the past two weeks of driving it quite quick so its not every single time.

Ive recently gone full bpu so maybe they have poo'ed themselves?

Edited by Blackie (see edit history)

When the throttle is shut there is no fuel getting injected, so that rules that out, I would also say turbo, as I believe rings/valve stem seals produce blue smoke? Do you have any smoke on hot idle mate?

My Saab turbo also does this (apparantly but Ive never seen it)

When the throttle is shut there is no fuel getting injected, so that rules that out, I would also say turbo, as I believe rings/valve stem seals produce blue smoke? Do you have any smoke on hot idle mate?

My Saab turbo also does this (apparantly but Ive never seen it)

No smoke on idle or start up, It only happens at speed and its not a regular thing

What oil are you using?

Cant remember, not cheap stuff. its got darker but not black?

oh, then its no the turbo seals , ( i think), i only get it when i come to a stop/idle.

when im going, no white smoke appears with me..

Yours isnt the turbo seals or mine isnt? lol

I *think* it is value stems, I had my cats taken out and apparently that triggers it to be worse.

Something along them lines.

You 100% sure it is white smoke? thought white smoke = water\condensation.

Blue = Oil

Black = Unburnt fuel\Turbo's.

I *think* it is value stems, I had my cats taken out and apparently that triggers it to be worse.

Something along them lines.

You 100% sure it is white smoke? thought white smoke = water\condensation.

Blue = Oil

Black = Unburnt fuel\Turbo's.

It was deff white, I had Karolina looking out for it too to make sure

It doesnt do it on tick over though? And not offen

How often do you drive your Supra Blackie?

Because mine wouldn't blow out white smoke on start up unless I left it for a week or so.

Even then the smoke was fairly low.

Seemed to get worse on hot days when I had wafts of white smoke go past, again it was occasionally.

Valve stem seals only show on start up as far as I know. Mine do. Unless they are totally shot the amount of oil getting into the cylinder would be tiny. The reason for smoke on start up is due to an accumulation when switched off.

Never had an issue with smoke whilst driving, but can get quite a lot if the car has been sat for a few weeks without use.

I thought lift off smoke was generally diagnosed as turbo seals.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to say for certain.

My valve stem seal problem showed up in two ways. The first was blue smoke on start up and occasionally pulling away after idling for some time e.g. bad traffic. I never got any smoke coming off throttle so I doubt the problem highlighted is VSM related. As said somebody will no doubt be along to point you in the right direction