The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is my new OEM aux tensionser the correct one?

ripped_fear

Hi all.

Picked up my new Aux Belt tensioner today from Mr T. (mine is the one wihtout the little shock on the tensioner)

Its supposed to be the correct one for the car, but when opening it once I got home it looks completely different to my current one fitted.

Here are the pictures of the new one-

attachment.php?attachmentid=149094&stc=1&d=1333049596

attachment.php?attachmentid=149095&stc=1&d=1333049596

It seem to be the right size when holding it up to my old one, but the new one seems to have different marking on the top and on the wheel itself it is somooth where as my old one seems to have a lip holding the belt on.

Is it the wrong item? or have they updated the design or something?

DSCF4695.JPG

DSCF4697.JPG

Thats correct, looks exactly like mine. Is the one on your car a plastic pulley one?

Good to know it looks like yours, Too be honest mate im not sure if mine is platic though,

According to Toyata there is only 2 types for the supra, one like the above and another with a little shock on it, mine doesn't have the shock, so I asummed it was correct its just different in a few visual ways.

I had this same dilemma when ordering a replacement for the tensioner on my 1JZ, (one I had looked like the one on your engine and the one that Toyota ordered in looked like what you have received) what the guy at the Toyota parts desk told me was that basically the one on my car was 22 years old and the part is obsolete and has been discontinued and the new one supersedes it. Sadly I have not fitted it so cannot tell you if it works.

thats plastic.... thought these only come on n/a?

mine is an na ;)

Yeas as above, thats a plastic one fitted so, in a sense, youre upgrading :)

Glad to hear that will get fitted then. :) thanks buddy

I had this same dilemma when ordering a replacement for the tensioner on my 1JZ, (one I had looked like the one on your engine and the one that Toyota ordered in looked like what you have received) what the guy at the Toyota parts desk told me was that basically the one on my car was 22 years old and the part is obsolete and has been discontinued and the new one supersedes it. Sadly I have not fitted it so cannot tell you if it works.

Thanks for the help bud, sounds like it should be fine from what swampy said so im going to get mine fitted :)