The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whifbitzs 2.5 twin box catback exhaust.

Graham1984

Has anyone who has a fully decat NA brought the 2.5 twin box from whifbitzs and if so what does it sound like. Due to the manifold I brought from Barney a while ago I get an annoying but somewhat brief rasp and where I have sod all silencing and a 2nd decat it raises the sound of it which is doing my head in. I was more interested as to what the catback exhaust sounds like and have been considering getting it but wouldn't mind hearing one first if possible. When my old manifold on my 206 gti was rattling my mate welded up the four pipes by the cat join which cured the problem and was interested if there is any similar cure that can be done.

Frankly I am not expecting miracles and think the twin box should be quiet enough that when I open it up it does not attract the same level of attention as my current car state due to less noise and surely the rasp will seem less along with it.

What do you lot think.

Edited by Graham1984 (see edit history)

Yes indeed Justin is almost correct - I have an OBX manifold, 2.5" 2nd decat and a 3" single box Whifbitz system. It does sound pretty loud with a little bit of rasp from the cheap and thin walled manifold.

When Whifbitz sort out the NA manifold I will be putting one of them on.

I think with a twin box 2.5" system you will have a fair bit of silencing but with a very nice tone.

I'll have a custom 2.5" SS with a large single box coming off my TT soon, not sure as it's a single box it would be to loud on an NA but as the single box is large my TT is quiet as hell, obviously the turbo's take a lot of the noise away but the difference between say mine and Paul's 3" single box on another TT is tremendous (both with cats in)! So could imagine the twin box system giving a nice noise level.

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

I'll have a custom 2.5" SS with a large single box coming off my TT soon, not sure as it's a single box it would be to loud on an NA but as the single box is large my TT is quiet as hell, obviously the turbo's take a lot of the noise away but the difference between say mine and Paul's 3" single box on another TT is tremendous (both with cats in)! So could imagine the twin box system giving a nice noise level.

Paul's twin box rates at 87db with a 2nd decat only, I have the 1st decat manifold combination as well so it should bring it back in line a bit more as I can't really take it even near 3k revs in a built up area without causing a scene, I just wish the rasp would feck off though.

i had 2.5" single cat with one 3" decat and stock manifold. was loud! got knows what double decat and manifold would be like. your get rasp with it slightly.

ive shown you the video i had didnt i? dont get rasp know i have a 3" boosted down pipe ;)

The rasp/tinny noise is unbelievable when I get to 3.5-4k revs but it is fun in Hindheads near 2mile long tunnel. Your video still sounded loud on your 2.5 single box hence why I will have to buy the whifbitzs sometime instead. I am under no illusions that the rasp would go with the twin box but I am certain it will mask it to some extent. I was tempted to just get another back box as mine has the baffle cut out which makes the tin rasp worse due to the large space it has to drone. Most the back boxes I have seen are just as expensive as a near new system and on the group buy idea thread Paul kindly offered to sell it for £359 delivered which is the same as the single box.

It annoys me when I am at lights ect it just sounds like I am trying to race everywhere due to excessive noise around 3k revs and I would much rather tone it down so now and then I can open it up a bit without people hearing me coming half a mile away.