The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Having To Bite The Bullet

jcbt

Well as some of you know I have had annoying oil leaks since purchasing the Supra. To date had cam cover seals replaced / All seals on front pulleys and today was meant to be the final fix in replacing the oil filter seal.

Then came the bad news Paul at Whifbitz pointed out that the old girl is going to require a new oil pump. Now knowing that this is an expensive job labour wise and I know that the valve stem seals need doing - a big decision was needed do I carry on as I am doing bit by bit which seems like putting plasters on major artery bleeds or do I bite the bullet and go for a full engine rebuild. Well the decision is made and the Supe has been left with Paul to complete the major surgery of a full rebuild. Now you guys know this is not cheap and until the engine is fully stripped will we really know whats required. The one dilemma I have is do I go the whole hog and change the standard J Spec turbos for hybrids at the same time which will probably add another £1k to the price. I know its gonna feel like a new car but will I be disappointed if I dont change the turbo's which may well be OK.

Whats your thoughts

if it was me i wouldnt bother going hybrids, i did stage 3 hybrids and they was well not great ( alot of lag and only lasted a year) plus you should really get fueling sorted for the hybrids so would need some sort of ecu,

they are alot of money for little power gain if i was to do it all again i would of got another set of stock turbos put on ones like you are thinking about ditching for no reason.

if you want more power then go single turbo and save on not changing the hybrids out later on

Have to say that rebuilding an engine to stay with the stock setup seems a bit pointless to me. Buying a known good used motor would be better bet, if only to keep the car running as is.

Of course, that being said, I went from stock motor to built motor and 71 mm single turbo.. so take my advice with a pinch of salt :D

If you planned on doing other things to it in the near future, I'd add them to the current list and upgrade while everything is off. Both Whifbitz and SRD offer some nice parts (cams for example) which could be a good idea as everything else is being done anyway!

I guess though, being honest, if I was thinking of spending on a full rebuild, I would try to amass parts and single it simultaneously. Obviously that would incur a bigger bill, but it'd be worth it :D