The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra a good idea?

Guest MikeyTT

Guest MikeyTT

Hi folks,

I guess I'm just after some reassurance. I've got my heart set on a TT 6Spd Manual. I have had a bad experience with my Rev 3 Tubby MR2, and it put me off ever buying an older turbocharged car again. However I did own an EP82 GT Starlet with 208bhp, which was a dream to own, no major issues at all ( it did have a genuine 15k miles when I bought it mind)!

I have a 2 year old and my other half will have a family car, currently a CRV, however the wee one will be required to go in my car from time to time. More importantly I have a sizeable mortgage and other commitments, I cannot be out a fortune each month for repairs etc I can stomach the fuel bill as I don't do mega miles.

These cars are nearing 20years old now, will a decent example TT6 be reliable enough if maintained and serviced regularly? Not going to need engine rebuilds etc etc? I can tell from reading various threads that they are capable of high miles.

At the end of the day, I don't want a fragile car, as after all It will be a car that driven and enjoyed!! Ideally I'll have a BPU spec car.

Cheers folks!

Mikey ;)

the 2jz-gte/ge engines are pretty much bomb proof mate, if well maintained. Regular services, oil changes etc etc will have these engines running for ages. Although there is no guarantee that something might not fail, but TBH these engines get abused alot by the members on here, and there pretty much all going strong. JamieP has pushed stock engines to there limits and even he sometimes struggle to break em, :D That for me is the icing on the cake. :D

Won't go wrong with a well looked after Engine. :D

there often are little bits that need doing as you say they are old cars engines are fine and dont often need a rebuild if not running massive power, i have 522bhp and 150,000 miles on the clock stock engine just bigger turbo and fueling.

but from what you are saying i feel that you are wanting a new car, just a vibe i get from your question

Guest MikeyTT

Cherers Geo, That's good to hear! I don't think I'll be wanting huge power, 500 ponies would be adequately powerful for me.

Mellonman, I'm not going to lie, 335i bmw's are fair coming down towards the 10k mark and decent spec Impreza STI's too. Both much newer cars, are very tempting.

I do have the Supra itch though...

Guest MikeyTT

That's great to her mate ^^ cheers!

My Rev3 Tubby left me at the roadside a few times. En route to work on each occasion and soon got sick of it.

The parts expensive? Turbo's / clutches etc etc?

Not that I hope I'll be replacing any soon!!

my fancy alu rad blew. a new oem one was 200 quid i think. and just as good.

iv had to replace various suspention bits. arms and things but they never broke just wore out, and a ARB that had rusted through! but got all the bits 2nd hand at decent prices.

replaced my stock suspention with coilovers as they were getting tired after 130k. but iv picked up a full set of second hand springs and dampers for about £120 or so so if you manage to drop on a deal your ok :p

Had the valve seals done too. thats a big job and the price is mostly labour usualy arround £1000 but its not something to worry about and it wont stop the car running or anything like that but they slowly get worse till they realy need doing.

my turbos are still on the origonals. 155k on them at the moment. and been running 1.3 bar for about 30k miles.

mine is an auto so never had to buy a clutch. never had to buy any disks ether. but pads dont seem extortionate to me. check whifbits for prices.

Guest MikeyTT

A radiator and battery etc etc is to be expected and I wouldn't grudge costs such as these. I think I'll try and get a low milage example, maybe from Jurgan and will hopefully be fairly hassle free fun. Are servicing costs ok? Service 2 times per annum?

Guest MikeyTT

Ps quite impressed with stock turbochargers lasting 155k miles! Built to last! What pressure can they take, is 1.3 bar comfortable?

Ps quite impressed with stock turbochargers lasting 155k miles! Built to last! What pressure can they take, is 1.3 bar comfortable?

The UK Specs ones at 1.3/4 & JSpecs at 1.2 Bar.

Think we have some on here with 200,000 & the original turbo ;)

My colleague has a 335i & he loves my Supra!

I think 1.2 on a Jspec is comfortable ircc... they have ceramic compressors whereas the euro supras tubbies have steel which can handle a bit more boost ;).

1.2 will be fun enough im sure, I cant wait to get my decats in after hearing how nice bpu is :D!