The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra or No Supra ?

davis6110

Ok jus a quick question which may seem stupid asking in a Supra Forum but here goes.

Iv just moved out and got ma own house now so i can now get whatever car i want without my mum nagging me, im only 21 and want something fast, i been looking at supra's for ages but always thought the insurance would be miles too expensive for me but when i checked yesterday i could get one insured for only £700 !!!!!. I walk to work every day, so i do a max of 30 miles a week in my car, would you suggest a supra is a good option for me ? :-)

What supra is it you can insure for £700? a UK Twin Turbo? If so be prepared to spend £££££££ to get one few and far between compared to J-spec's.

If its not a daily driver then go for it, as long as you can afford the fuel and repairs, remeber these are older cars now, most at the age where things WILL need replacing. Even though the cars are old, the correct service parts and mantenace/repairs can still be expensive.

If you can afford it, then go for it! :)

Edited by TubbyTwo (see edit history)

i could get one insured for only £700

Just make sure the insurance company were aware that it was a jap import, as to me that quote seems very cheap for a 21 year old. Do just recheck your quote, so you don't get your hopes up.

Other than that, a supra would be a great buy, especially if you do so few miles. A word of warning though, if you've no rear wheel drive experience, Supra's can be tricky to drive and will catch you out, especially if you're acting the maggot and don't have much experience. If you do get one, just take care in it, as it will bite when you make a mistake. :thumbs:

Go for it. I wish I'd bought mine when I was younger. Again, take note of the warnings that other people have posted. They do take a while to get the knack of.

Again, as people have said check the insurance quote is for an J-Spec if that is what you're buying also that they haven't misquoted for a Mkiii as most online insurers do when quoting for older reg's.

£700 does sound cheap. I pay £800 for a TT Auto and I'm 35 with full no claims and clean license. Your postcode will affect insurance a lot.

I pay £800 for a TT Auto and I'm 35 with full no claims and clean license. Your postcode will affect insurance a lot.

Do you live in Iraq by any chance?

I'm 36 with full no claims and a clean licence with a TT auto and mine is £417 fully comp

I'd double check the insurance too, when I was first looking at Supra's some of the quotes were for the MK3.

Insurance isn't the biggest thing anyway, it is to ensure you pennies to look after them, fuel etc.

My NA drinks just as much fuel as my TT did so it will be quick a difference to the 1.4 engine you currently have.

I have checked the ins and its correct i even rang them, its for a 1993 3.0l non turbo worth £2000.00 and its with elephant, i have been with them for 4 years now so i have loyalty bonus's too but they said its because the car is comeing up to 20 years old it is becomeing a classic and because i do less than 2000 miles a year that helps alot they said, the bloke even looked at the car on autotrader that i was looking at and said yeah thats the right price, i know im only 21 but the insurance on my current citroen c4 1.4 VT 2006 plate worth £3000.00 is only £350.00 a year for me to insure, i also did pass plus which helps a tiny bit

I have checked the ins and its correct i even rang them, its for a 1993 3.0l non turbo worth £2000.00 and its with elephant, i have been with them for 4 years now so i have loyalty bonus's too but they said its because the car is comeing up to 20 years old it is becomeing a classic and because i do less than 2000 miles a year that helps alot they said, the bloke even looked at the car on autotrader that i was looking at and said yeah thats the right price, i know im only 21 but the insurance on my current citroen c4 1.4 VT 2006 plate worth £3000.00 is only £350.00 a year for me to insure, i also did pass plus which helps a tiny bit

Your postcode must be great for them! I wouldn't have thought the age of the car would come into it, as all the places I've checked won't cover you on a classic policy until you're 25.

I'm was paying £880 for my UK spec TT last year when I'd just turned 22. Paying £770 or thereabouts this year with 4 years NCB :)

Oh yeah and one more question, i really love supra's and have done ever since a young age so i dont wanna finally get one and not be able to afford to look after it so roughly saying that nothing major goes wrong on the car would i have to put aside a year just for general upkeep, sorry if these questions seem stupid but i dont wanna ruin a supra cause i love em

Here's a few pics of the one that im looking at, it does look a bit rough round the edges but i look after my cars so it will look brand new by the time im done with it, im not too keen on the alloys either but that can soon be changed. What do you guys and girls think ?

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG