The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help - Removal of leather on gear selector.

SupraStar 3000

Anybody know how long and difficult it is to remove the leather gator and grip on both hand break and auto gear selector.

Did a search but couldn't find anything.

I need to send the items to Gibson + Boyne and am looking into the possibility of sending the items by post rather then driving from Leicester.

All help appreciated.

:thumbs:

Originally posted by SupraStar 3000

Anybody know how long and difficult it is to remove the leather gator and grip on both hand break and auto gear selector.

Did a search but couldn't find anything.

I need to send the items to Gibson + Boyne and am looking into the possibility of sending the items by post rather then driving from Leicester.

All help appreciated.

:thumbs:

The handbrake gaitor and handle is one big rubber thing which you will probably have to cut off. You're gonna need a new handle too. Dunno about the auto gaitor, but the manual one is held on by a plastic ring underneath which is stuck to the rest of the surround by what looks like melting. I couldn't get mine off without snapping the bits that hold it on, so it will need glueing back. I should send the whole panel if you can and let the boys sort it.

Do I only need to send you the seats, right?

Got a quote of £89+vat to send them via post (one way).

Just need to confirm weight and size.

Although, still havn't totally decided to post or drive up myself yet.

:innocent:

For £89 plus VAT I will drive up to Leicester and bring them back to Vinces place lol :p

I took the gear knob out and sent it to Gibson and Boyne for releathering including my steering wheel. As you do not have to send but for future ref. it is a very delicate job and takes about 3 hours if you are doing it the first time. It is best to remove the arm rest in the middle to gain easy access to the wires attached to the knob. You have to push the covering at the bottom of the knob unscrew two screws at the bottom and pull the knob up. In side the shaft is a plastic tappered tower on a threaded shaft. Be very careful not to lose the setting, best mark it with a felt tip pen

when refitting if the setting is lost you will have trouble shifting into park. There are 4 screws on the cradle which will have to be removed.The blue wire which runs along the bottom should be prised out of the clips. Disconnect the manual switch and the light bulb. Gently pull out the whole assembley.

Most of all have patience when removing and refitting.

Gibson and Boyne did an excellent job.

but I'd preferably like the car to arrive without major damage and speeding violations :p heh heh heh

Think i've sorted the transport out with a relative ;)

i will be going to northampton on the 9th of october, so i could give you a lift if your stuck, only 1 week late :D