The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A few reasons why not to use Nippon autos

hodge

Well folks, I really don't know where to start here.

A new member on here (Simon), bought himself a supra and then decided he would like a TT conversion. Being new to the game Nippon Auto were advertising an engine and fitting service so he jumped at the chance.

After the job was done, he picked the car up and came along to a local Japanese car meet. I introduced myself, and we got chatting about his car. He told me the story and said something wasn't right. I offered to take a look for him, and to say I was horrified would be a total understatement. I noticed straight away the that the boost pipes on the actuator and VSV were plummed wrong. I swapped all the pipes to there stock position for him. There was also an issue with revs rising and falling on there own which needed looking at too.

So I agreed to take a good look at the car for him when I had a free weekend and here's what I found.

This is the bay.

Fan relay fitted by auto electricians. Previously the fans ran all the time and you had to get out the car to plug them in under the bonnet.

Battery earth????

Neons, with frayed and exposed live wires.

Amplifier power cable just lying on top of the engine

It does have greddy pulleys and a Titan crank pulley though.

Power steering tank ????

Broken TPS sensor

Correct engine earth not connected

Sub TPS has Broken connectors and the wires are loose.

Fuse box lid broken and fusebox was not tightened down

There was no battery tray and the battery is held in by a cut off battery clamp bent into the battery

When I looked further at the fusebox, I realized it wasn't tight because it was smashed to bits underneath.

And another of the broken fusebox

And again

Once I actually removed the fuse tray this was what was left of the box.

I'll update with how the repairs go and also what else I find along the way.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is Horrific dude. Its sad when people pay good amounts of money to have decent work done, then get shafted. I hope they see this thread and at least do something about it?? And when i mean do something i mean offer some sort of apology or compensation ????

1st issue to address was the Irratic revving. When the car was warm it revs would raise and lower as if I was blipping the throttle. They would go between around 1-2k and a smooth and regular intivals.

So I started with the idle control valve. Not wanting to drop all the coolant, I undone the bolts holding it to the plenum, this gave me enough room to pull the valve up without disturbing the water lines in the bottom.

I removed the 2 bolts holding the front on the valve and removed the housing from the motor. It was then stripped down and cleaned then refitted. It was to be fair full of block carbon deposits which may have caused it to be sticking.

Onto the TPS. I removed what I thought was the connector, but it turns out this was all that was left of it and was just stuffed in the TPS. The whole plug was missing and this is all that was left.

I've got a spare loom in the shed which I use for stuff such as this

Here's a close shot of the broken TPS

I removed the connector from my spare loom and fitted it to the car, I also replaced the TPS sensor for a new 1.

Next issue with the car was it was hitting fuel cut. This was a strange one as it only had the 1st cat removed. I decided to fit a 1 bar restrictor ring just to be safe. The exhaust was blowing between the 1st decat and 2nd cat anyways so I removed the bolts to put it in there. As soon as I undid the bolts and removed them, the cat back exhaust fell off. And I mean fell off. The flange that attached it to the 2nd decat was so poorly welded it just snapped. After further inspection, the entire exhaust was held on with 1 runner and this was a twin box system with a box on either side of the car like a stock exhaust.

All the welds were very poor if I'm honest.

Whilst I was under the car, the Neons were removed too.

The car is fitted with a 5 speed box, there's 2 sensors on the box, the 1 on the driver side to the rear of the box is plugged in, which I'm assuming is the speed sensor but the othe one on the passanger side of the box had a 2 pin grey connector is just hanging under the car not plugged in. Not I've checked the loom and there isn't anything to plug into this.

Does it require hard wiring into 1of the other connectors and what is it for???

This is as far as I've got with the car yesterday but the other faults which need addressing is,

It still has the N/A clocks in so the rev counter doesn't work and the speedo is about 50mph out,

Some of The ECU wires have been cut and parcel taped together, so all these need stripping, soldering and heat shrunk,

PAS is very heavy,

It has an auto ECU fitted. So if I change this I don't know if it will cure the PAS issue.

Springs are too low on the front and the car is bottoming out whilst driving,

The positive battery terminal is bust,

The electric fans have now to be switched on and off via a button so this needs swapping out for a viscous.

The car also has a slight missfire on tickover, I'm expecting it to be either a faulty coilpack, coilpack clips or VERY old plugs.

I'll post a list of parts required, so if anyone has any lying about/ for sale etc.

So these are the parts required so far,

Complete fusebox casing and lid,

Battery tray

Battery clamp and post

Battery clamp

Battery post

TT viscous fan

Complete fan shroud

Undertray

Set of TT manual clocks (autos would work but would rather use manual)

Manual TT ECU

I may need a FCD but not sure as yet.

I've managed to get him an HKS silent Hi-power exhaust cheap off a mate so hopefully that's all good.

I may need to get a new set of cool pack connectors and plugs but I think that list should cover everything. I've got a spare set of coilpacks I can use if 1 of those is an issue.

If anyone has got and of the above parts would you drop me a line please as I'd like to get this all sorted and up and running ASAP for Simon. He's only drove the car 3 times since he had it done.

So these are the parts required so far,

Complete fusebox casing and lid,

Battery tray

Battery clamp and post

Battery clamp

Battery post

TT viscous fan

Complete fan shroud

Undertray

Set of TT manual clocks (autos would work but would rather use manual)Got a be

Manual TT ECU

I may need a FCD but not sure as yet.

I've managed to get him an HKS silent Hi-power exhaust cheap off a mate so hopefully that's all good.

Got a battery tray, clamp, post and may have a TT6 ecu here. Pm me your address and I'll get them sent out, need to get to the post office anyway tomorrow.