The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garrett twinscroll T4 housing rusting and a few questions.

greeny

I've took my manifold and turbo off today after its been stood for probably a year. (This is actually for an MR2, but thought i'd try over here, as not many MR2's are running T4 turbos).

I found the exhaust housing had rusted massively on the entry and exit, to the point of if it had of been started, it would of been pretty likely it'd of knackered the turbo. I got a good handfull of rust out of it and then had to sand blast the remaining rust off.

Has anyone else found this?

And just a warning really to check your turbo's if they've been stood a while.

Also whilst cleaning the housing out, i found something quite interesting (to me anyway :smile: ).

I found there's quite a big difference in size of where the two twin entry scrolls/inlets where they meet the turbine wheel. There was probably 2-3mm thickness difference between the two openings.

Here's a pic off google to give you an idea as to what i mean,

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2673/img0009mc6.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Has anyone else checked/looked at there's?

I'd expect them to be the same size openings, otherwise i'd assume there's going to be a difference of backpressure between cylinders 1/3 + 2/4.

Whether its designed this way, or it's just a poor casting, i'm not sure?

I was going to be measuring back pressure from each side of the collector anyway, so after noticing this it'l be interesting to see what the results are, Not that i'l be able to do much about it!