The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Saw a Supra today and am puzzled

imi

Lovely car...excellent cosmetic condition....engine sounded perfect and car handled well. All in all cant fault the car bar from one point.

BTW: the car had an HPI document with a full AA inspection sheet.

The Engine Tag number was E-JZA80-AJPZZ

the car was definetely a 6-sp manual. TT

Another here that can advise me as to what to do :(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked the V5 Document and on that its a 6-sp Manual, the car is also HPI clear.

Is there a way to investigate this further.

I will obviously pose this question to the seller, but before I do, I want to make sure that I am clued up on this topic.

Thx for the help all.

When you first register it you can put pretty much whatever you want on the V5, they don't really check, and they certainly wouldn't check the model code on the VIN plate, so that's no guarantee of anything.

If it's been converted you have no real way of knowing if it has the proper manual LSD diff or anything. Plus you'll have real problems with insurance.

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole personally.

I hope I don't sound like I'm jumping all over you, but you sound like you're still going to try and bottom things out with the ID of this car, please don't bother, just find a better one.

Don't be seduced because you really want it, and you hope everything will be OK.

Look for evidence of welding in the A-pillar to front subframe area and also underneath just behind the drivers seat Thats where mine is welded together. taking off trim panels and looking at car colours on the inside of panels and pulling up carpets and having a look under there is also a way of checking but its a bridge too far if you don't own the car. To be honest that plate is a doddle to take off and a replacement one rivetted on so even if its not a cut and shut it may well be a stolen ringer. For the amount of money you are talking here its not worth the risk is it?

Got a printout of the RAC report and a copy of the Engine TAG number from the owner.

Car looks kosher but the engine tag DEFINETELY doesnt belong to the said car.

Seems like it was tampered with before it got registered in the UK.

I am wondering whether I should get in touch with Toyota and maybe get the correct Engine tag made up. OR maybe I should just inform the owner and walk away.

Could be a way of getting it registered and skipping the SVA?

Get an old crashed MKiV and stick the details onto a new one?

Isn't the frame number also stamped in other places - think there's a flap you lift up near the driver seat beside the door? (Part of plastic trim edging) That might have been an old car of mine..can't remember and my Supra is at home!

This should match obviously.. There's one somewhere in the rear to I think - but can't remember where that is either.

If the frame numbers match that on the plate, then that is very odd indeed. Does the plate look like they should? I'm sure you can find some pics - it has print on it so it's not easy to simply copy.

Pete (the not so helpful)

Thx for your replies. I have spoken to Toyota themselves and we confirmed that the plate that is on that car does not correspond to a Supra. The VIN number doesnt exisit and neither does the model number (ends wih Z2 - which doesnt exisit)

I take your comments about identification numbers on other parts of the car, Toyota have a service whereby this can be done for £25 HOWEVER, should the VIN plate on the car need to be changed the police need to be involved AND the process takes weeks.

I have now informed the owner via email and may speak to him about it tonight.

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Don't walk away from this one..... Run as fast as your little legs will carry you... This has "stolen" written all over it

im not too sure, something aint right but im not sure if it stolen.

Could be many different reasons, but have to agree wouldnt buy it unless u really like it and the owner is happy for you to do as much checking with police etc...

This has got trouble written all over it.

Also, consider this; What sort of problems are you going to encounter in the future should you wish to sell and move on? Most other people may not be as forgiving as you and you could be stuck with a pig in a poke!

Time to walk away mate and find yourself a car that is definitely straight.

Originally posted by imi

one other point of interest.

the car was 40K miles, HOWEVER the CAMBELT Had been changed...

now since the car is a 1996, one could change the CAMBELT due to age...(i think).....or perhaps the car has some more hidden tales.

That in itself isn't unusual, you're supposed to inspect/change it after 60K or 6 years. But the rest is very dodgy, look elsewhere I would say for sure.

Sure you can be blunt.

I have walked away from the car.....but left the owner with the knowledge that will eventually help him sell the car easily should he choose to contact Toyota.

It would have been pretty selfish had I simply kept this knowledge to myself.