The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Using my SZ-R as a daily driver, am i mad?

kniff_666

Hello guys,

not long been a member on here and already introduced myself and supra.

I bought my surpa about 3 wks ago after a long search for an SZ-R manual at a reasonable price.

I have always wanted a supra since i was small and was tazing around in a supra on "Gran Turismo" (ol-skool!)

Now i have it it was everything that i ever imagined and more. And i absolutely love it.

419855_10151390981220201_631680200_23633290_1187629904_n.jpg

420852_10151390983720201_631680200_23633325_1114004559_n.jpg

Anyway,

As mentioned above i am using her as a daily driver and was wondering what mods people have done that use the supra for long distance trips and daily driving?

I am currently working my way through the interior sorting all the little rattles and squeaks (any hints on how to do this with the windscreen vent would be appreciated) and trying to remove the rubberised coating from the dash and other interior parts.

Oh, one more thing on the inside is that at some point a mobile phone cradle has been fitted and made some holes in the side of the dash and now i want to fill them so it looks better. but what/how would anyone recommend doing this? Would black silicone sealant be ok?

Things i am hoping to do on the outside are the J-spec (plastic) headlights changed to glass UK style.

If anyone else uses their supra daily please let me know if you have had any issues etc.

cheers,

Daily always. It's a car not a pricless work of art. Like a Dutch hooker, they were built to be ridden hard and every day.

My only issue as a daily driver is that I hate ending up at work - I just want to keep driving until the tank's dry.

Daily always. It's a car not a pricless work of art. Like a Dutch hooker, they were built to be ridden hard and every day.

My only issue as a daily driver is that I hate ending up at work - I just want to keep driving until the tank's dry.

And just as expensive. Possibly!

I'd use mine as a daily driver too, but I work about a mile from home, so cycle it, plus no where to park at work either.

It looks great in the drive, when it's not covered in seagull crap!

Cellulose thinners will remove the rubber kak from the dash panels and plastic bumper repair to fill the holes, then a waft of satin black and Bob's your dad.

Is there not a quicker way to remove the rubber kak? I have been using this method with thinners and it takes a lot of time and elbow grease. Already bored of this and only done the ash tray and gear surround!

BTW if anyone needs a crime commiting then i now have the ability to get away with it due to a lack finger prints from scrubbing the kak.

Is the dash not vinyl?

i used to do about 20k in mine a year, other then petrol rear tyres was the killer lol only used to ever get about 7k out of them if that

7K!!

do you always light up the tires away from junctions etc.?

Just out of interest, what size wheel/tire combo are you running and at what pressure?

BTW i am using as a daily driver but will probs only do about 9k miles a year

Well it is always positive that every1 enjoys using as a daily driver except Robzki.

Car is just coming up to doing about 98,000 km (about 60k miles) so there should be a lot left in the tank.

I always believed that this era of toyotas were almost bomb-proof.

BTW the guy i bought it off only put 5k km on the clock after owning for 5years! the car really deserves to be driven.

Well it is always positive that every1 enjoys using as a daily driver except Robzki.

I probably should have mentioned that its not me that does the driving :( It breaks my heart seeing it drive up the road every morning. I have threatened to sell it but the missus reckons her street cred at work may suffer. :)

i use my single turbo about 5 days a week..... nice house by the way ;)

Unfortunately, this is not my house. It's my parents.

I live in a terraced and don't have the space to work on my car when its parked there so i always take it to the rents for cleaning (freshly cleaned in the pics, hence the SHINE) and general maintenance. They don't live too far from me (2 mins) and it means that all my crap *ahem*, tools and spares etc are not cluttering up my house or shed etc. :D

Edited by kniff_666 (see edit history)

Ive had mine for 4 years the first 3 it was a daily driver with no problems and it responded well so long as it was serviced regularly. last year a bought a rav4 as my daily so i could keep the milage down but i should have just kept running the supra, it was garaged all winter and when i brought it out this spring it took a few days of running for it to be 100%. So im my opinion the supra is a great daily driver if petrol costs are not a prob for you. Also makes communting to work more enjoyable. JUST ENJOY IT.