The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front Bumper Splitter Ideas Please *FITTED*

Noz

Hi all. I've been thinking about buying one of these for a little while. Ive seen few tasty carbon splitters (reference Lbm's car - yum) and the only thing that is putting me off is the price. Being a large bumper the size you need costs mega bucks.

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Extra-Wide-Carbon-Fibre-Front-Splitter-Kit__CMEWSPLT002.aspx

So, alternatives. Sheet metal? Wooden, then wrapped? I think the best idea would be to go with sheet metal, anyone know of any decent suppliers in this area? Otherwise its get some dimensions and get it ordered and laser cut the hard way.

Any other ideas would be great guys. Thanks

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes mate thats what I want, I want it to come around the sides of my bumper as well though. Its just so expensive, plus it would damage easy and Im low as it is. I am edging towards trying to get some dimensions and get it laser cut from sheet metal. no idea the cost on that.

It was yours I was thinking of gaz :)

I meant you like to get stuck in and make custom parts, it's cool bud ;)

Thanks for a nice comments mate :) Have applied for hobbyist so I can sell my creations, Im limited on what I make as I can't really sell it. If i could sell stuff I would make random stuff and not worry that I cant have 3 sets of rear lights on my car lol.

The search goes on..

Lol, no mate, id rather laser it to be honest.

I've just emailed a laser company that also does forming.

If they seem reliable, and do a good job, I'll look into getting some stainless steel door sills made and possibly some wing covers. I tried emailing a previous company about the doorsills but they didn't get back to me. Nice!

Steel is the way forward. Maybe I'll get it chromed :D

I'll be doing one for the front of my track car also for two reasons.

1. To (hopefully) increase front end downforce and so reduce understeer.

2. My front bumper is now a quick release jobbie and not being tied to the wing liners leaves it very, well, flappy, for want of a better word!

We use a polycarbonate in the workshop called Lexan, we get it in 8' x 4' sheets, I'm going to see if there is an off-cut of one of the 3mm sheets that would be big enough to do the job.

There'll be no fancy straifing or air pockets but it is virtually bullet proof, easily cut to shape and braced and if I key one side it can be painted black of what ever colour I like.

I'll use rubber bead on the edge I expect. Otherwise if anything runs out in front of my il redue its height by a few inchs before impact.

Lexan would be a good idea. Though I dont have that at my disposal.

I'll use rubber bead on the edge I expect. Otherwise if anything runs out in front of my il redue its height by a few inchs before impact.

Lexan would be a good idea. Though I dont have that at my disposal.

Anywhere that stocks or cuts glass for windows etc should have it mate.

But the ply or sheet metal are fine too.

You can buy it from carbon mods, il probably grab some off there when I get the stainless support rods.

Just had a super fast reply from one sheet company. If they pull this off nicely I'll get some sills made and get quotes for the group buy I began and never heard back from.

This should be sweet! Not sure if carbon wrap, or just matt black would look better.

• 1 month later...

While at japfesto, I saw a car with a plastic front splitter. Does anyone know of any decent plastic materials that may be suitable for such a jog as I'm in talk with a company at the moment and feel a few suggestions to material type may help.

With keeping the plastic tough, durable but also allowing for possible deformation. Ideas welcome, thanks.