The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Eco-Supra?

benkei

With the ever-increasing cost of fuel, has anyone thought about making an 'Eco-Supra'?

By this I mean transplanting a newer, more economical engine into a Supra? One which still gives decent power, but isn't so thirsty?

There's been V12 and V8 transplants into Supras, but what about something aimed more at daily driving with the spirited run here and there? I recall reading about a 3S-GTE being dropped in, but was this not powerful enough for the Supra, or was that due to it being used for track purposes?

I'm not talking about some 1.2l thing either! :p I mean still a decent sized lump, just sometihng more technologically advanced...

Thoughts?

The engine from the BMW 335d/535d would be amazing. (Did I really just suggest putting a DIESEL in a Supra:blink:)

Although in my defence, it's 272 bhp and 95% of the 413lb-ft of torque is available at 1500 rpm. More importantly, you can still tell everyone you drive a twin turbo! :D

Edited by nige-rz (see edit history)

Just convert to LPG. Same power, lower costs.

Don't you have to have a tank added for the LPG? Does it go in the boot? How does it affect weight and weight distribution?

About the diesel option, they aren't all big dirty noisy engines anymore, they can actually be quite quiet and civilised :D

I'd be tempted to stay Jap though. Are there any new Toyota or Lexus models out which could have suitable engines?

Don't you have to have a tank added for the LPG? Does it go in the boot? How does it affect weight and weight distribution?

Approximate calculation:

80L of LPG = 41kg

80L of Unleaded = 57kg

100L LPG Tank = 55kg

80L of LPG + 100L LPG Tank = 96kg

96kg - (57kg - 41kg) = 80kg

You will add approximately 80kg to the rear end on a full tank.

This is based on keeping the existing fuel tank (as I think the LPG conversion requires it still), and only includes the new LPG tank plus the fuel (no additional parts as I don't know the rest).

Approximate calculation:

80L of LPG = 41kg

80L of Unleaded = 57kg

100L LPG Tank = 55kg

80L of LPG + 100L LPG Tank = 96kg

96kg - (57kg - 41kg) = 80kg

You will add approximately 80kg to the rear end on a full tank.

Its not really *that* much as you never keep much petrol in the car. you would gain the 96kg for the tank but as you only ever keep a couple of gallon of petrol in the car (it runs on petrol until the coolant hits operating temp) so assuming you never have over 1/4 of a tank of petrol its a 42.75kg saving (3/4 of 57kg) so 96kg - 42.75kg is a 53.25kg weight gain. Thats just over 8 stone so less than the average passenger, it just depends if you consider dropping your fuel bill by almost half to be worth adding 8 st of weight to the car.

I plan on doing it when I get a JZA80 but then from what I have read up the weight gain from the LPG is less than the weight difference between a JZA80 and a JZA70 so ill have less weight and more power than im used to plus the economy :)

Toyota already make the ingredients. :)

In Japan, you can buy 2JZ-FSE engines, which are significantly more economical than other 2JZs. However, they're not designed for turbocharging, and I doubt the direct injectors would be much cop. They're just as powerful as the 2JZ-GE.

Single turbo (and possibly TTC converted TTs) 6 speed cars can be more fuel efficient with a decent fuel map, as they can cruise at 70 without going on boost.

I've seriously considered putting a 330d engine in one. Best of both worlds :)

Why not 335d engine or 535d? Same cc capacity, just massively more powerful. Also, to answer the comments above about "why not just buy a 330d?" etc, it's very simple, they don't look like a supra. I'd love one for a daily driver.

To be fair you're probably right. The 3 litre would just be an easier thing to get hold of for sensible money. Plenty powerful enough too

Ah yes that makes sense. Might have a look into this over the weekend. At the minute my daily is an E60 545i, I'm doing about €860 a month in fuel on that alone, so ill definitely move into something more economical soon. I just love that V8 roar.

There's loads of kits on the BMW forums to slap a 2JZ into your beemer, so hopefully doing it in reverse wouldnt be impossible.

Still looking into this... You could pick up an N/A for a couple of grand, then a 535d engine for another couple of grand (both prices depend on condition, etc) then you'll need someone crazy enough to fit it! :D What about looms and ECUs? The brakes would probably need beefing up too, and a new suspension set up. Would be a nice project...