The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5 Speed/W58 Gearbox Oil recommendations.

ripped_fear

Hi all I'm treating my NA to allot of bits currently, and have now decided to do a gearbox oil change.

My NA unfortunately has a W58 gear box and according to the oil guide, the recommended oil to use is 75w/90 with a recommended brand of Motul Gear300.

I have been on to the trusty opieoil.co.uk web site as they are very help ful, and they have a variety of different ones to choose from for example 80w/90

Now the oil guide was made in 2006 and I know that better brands come about, so looking for some advise.

Basically I want the best oil I can, as after some advise on engine oil last year I got pointed in a direction of a particular brand and consistency and the engine seemed to run even better than before. (Not sure if that was just in my head)

So what oil is the best for the 5 speed, brand and consistency information appreciated and also what quantity is needed as this information is missing from the FAQ.

Also should add the car is only used for road use and I'm hoping to get a couple of track events in this year.

Thanks in advance

Jake

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

Thanks everyone it looks like 75w/90 is the way forward, does any one know how much the box takes?

Anything 75w/90 in a W58 :) If you want expensive but quality, millers/valvoline or

Motul. If you want cheap buy anything :)

And I don't mind paying the extra for quality, so thank i will choose one of those 3 :thumbs:

i wouldn't mind changing my gearbox oil soon, is it an easy job?

Will let you know once i have done it :)

Might as well do diff oil while your at it just get 4 litres of oil that will be enough will be same oil as long as your running the standard manual open diff, make sure you undo the filler plugs before the drain plugs though

Oh is it the same fulid I will need, cheers buddy will do that too then, Using the ramps at my dads garage so will make it allot easyer.

Thanks